Dura-Craft Question?

raspberry

I had a question on the Dura-Craft houses if someone could help me?

I see that Otterine's Heritage you glue the siding to the wall, (and the siding is all wood)... are all DC houses like this?

My aunt is looking at a few DC houses as options, (the Bayberry, the Linfield, the Bellingham, the Newberg) and while she doesn't mind if they are made in MDF, she doesn't want the siding in MDF, (she's watching my trouble w/it); but if any of these houses had the option of the wood siding, that glued onto the MDF walls it would be a big deal...

I haven't worked w/the DC houses so I can't answer her question, but maybe someone here can?

I'm not sure if you were looking at my replacement wall, made from plywood backing and Houseworks wood siding on the surface or the Heritage original walls which are built with pieces of premade wood siding. Here's a photo of the original pieces. Many Dura-Craft houses are assembled like this but not all.

gallery_4679_5254_80477.jpg

The all-wood DC kits had walls assembled from the milled pieces as brae shows. On the outside the siding is milled in and on the inside you're going to want to spread spackle or drywall mud and sand it all smooth when it dries thoroughly. Just before they went belly-up DC began to make kits from MDF because I guess it was cheaper to produce the kits (at no $aving$ to the customer, alas!). If your aunt gets one of the MDF kits I don't see why she can't glue siding to the exterior of the outer walls, if that's what she wants. The MDF already weighs a considerable amount.

Heritage original walls which are built with pieces of premade wood siding.

Many Dura-Craft houses are assembled like this but not all.

This...

And that's what I'm trying to find out...which ones are like this, (in your picture above) and which ones are not...

We are trying to avoid the "MDF milled in siding"... (like what RGT does to their MDF houses...)

So I'm trying to find a DC house that is assembled like Brae's is.

The SF557 is MDF, the SF550 & 555 are wood. I don't know which other all-wood kits were reissued in MDF. I believe that the Alexandria and possibly the Madison were issued strictly in MDF. You'll have to check with the seller, and if the kit is NIB (I would hesitate to buy one any other way) the info ought to be on the box.

The Newberg (and I'm assuming the Linfield, since they are the same kit with a couple minor design differences) are tab and slot with no siding. It's die-cut plywood like Greenleaf houses are.

I'm not sure about the others, but I'm thinking that the Bellingham Farmhouse is assembled the way the Heritage and SF555 is, with the long frame pieces and the siding pieces that slide into them. Of course I could be wrong on that...

The Newberg (and I'm assuming the Linfield), It's die-cut plywood like Greenleaf houses are.

but I'm thinking that the Bellingham Farmhouse is assembled the way the Heritage and SF555 is, with the long frame pieces and the siding pieces that slide into them.

The Bellingham, (based on the free directions from DHBuilder) doesn't have directions on how to assemble the siding and call the walls MDF. So I'm assuming that they are milled MDF walls... :(

I kind of figured on the Newberg and Linfield, just based on the assembly pics in the gallery that they were like the GL, but thanks for verifying!!! :)

Yep, I went down and checked mine I purchased already built before posting last night just to make sure I was remembering right. Ran my fingers along the unsanded edges and everything... :)

I'm assuming there was just 1 model of Newberg...

Also, the DC Brookfield I have is also tab and slot.