Paint

chapchap73

So I'm getting the stonework on my little house worked on. I love how it's looking, sorry no pictures yet because my camera is not being a friend to me :angry: My question is this. What does everyone use to paint their paperclay to get an authentic stone look? I have acrylic craft paint of course, but I'm afraid it may be too thick and I would lose the stone detail I'm going for. I have heard people use something called a color wash, is that just a thinned-out paint?

I'm making experiment pieces before I start the "real" thing so I may stumble onto a solution :giggle:

Thanks guys!

You can use acrylic paint or watercolor. A wash is paint that has been diluted down with water, you're right. Drybrushing is taking some of the paint onto the end of your brush, wiping most of it off on paper towels and then lightly brushing or pouncing color on. Both techniques are excellent for getting stone colors. Paperclay is very absorbent. I always suggest whatever someone is painting, make up a test piece to play with/ practice on to see how you get the effects that you want.

Chalk pastels in earth tones are also good for a final blush of color on stones, after they've been washed with a base color or colors. Scrape some into a small pile of powder, then dip a small brush into it and dust parts of rocks. Blend and smudge with a fingertip or cotton swab to merge the colors. As Holly said, it's a good idea to practice.

I cannot believe I forgot about the chalk pastels! I acquired a small spice grater I use just for chalk pastels. You'll want to use a small soft, clean brush and tap off the excess; a very minute amount of chalk pastel goes a loooooong way in mini!

I cannot believe I forgot about the chalk pastels! I acquired a small spice grater I use just for chalk pastels. You'll want to use a small soft, clean brush and tap off the excess; a very minute amount of chalk pastel goes a loooooong way in mini!

With my heavy hand, I think a grater would be overkill. I just gently scrape the side of the pastel with an eXacto blade.

I did the brick foundation on my Painted Lady with a color wash. Which is basically watered down paint. I start with a mix of black and gray, and really water it down for a 'dirty wash' that I put all over, then I use different colors to add accents. There is a great tutorial on here for brick on an Orchid using color washing technique with paperclay. There are pictures in my gallery. That is where I learned it. It's easy, and fun! Good luck, can't wait to see pics!

Thanks so much guys!!! Hopefully, I'll get some pics up this week. My camera is new so I'm not really used to it yet :( I keep getting pictures that are blurry, and I even got my thumb a couple of times which hasn't happened in a while. I'm trying to photograph textured white clay so lighting it so the camera will pick it up is a little challenging!

I've got my test bits lined up on my worktable. Tomorrow is laundry day :mad: but I might sneak in some painting in between loads :wub: