Fairy Castle

Deborah

HI All,

Thought you all might like to see this, if you havent already....

http://www.msichicago.org/index.html

when you get there click on sitemap in upper right corner

under exhibits on right right side click on museum exhibits

scroll down to museum exhibits on right

fifth one down on right -- Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle

Enjoy

I have pictures of it somehere, around all this mess probably take me forever to find them.....my daughter visited there when she was in the cival air patrol many years ago and took pics ;) ......she said seeing it in pictures doesnt even begin to do it justice.....maybe one day Ill get to see it. Can you imagine the money tied up in this castle., oh my gawd

have a good day

Hi Deborah -- Isn't it gorgeous? That's actually the piece that set me off in minis years and years ago. If you ever get the chance, do go see it. It's spectacular!

Me, too. Our school class visited the Art Institute when I was in about 4th grade. All I remember is Seurat's huge "Afternoon on the Grande Jette" (sp?) and Colleen Moore's doll house. I can still, more than half a century later, remember the sparkle of gold in the ballroom, the marble floors ...

Actually, I read somewhere that the cost would be so exhorbitant in today's dollars that it couldn't be re-created ;) In the 60's it was worth something like 3 mil. The castle has real diamonds, emeralds, etc set into the lights, fixtures and furniture and books that were actually written by real authors and paintings by real authors and autographs of people like the Duke of Windsor so it would be impossible to replace any of the furnishings. I was particularly taken with the chapel and, of course, those unreal bathrooms!

I was talking to my friend on thephone the other night, she went to the chigaco show a couple of months back, (lucky thing) but she also went to see this AND the Thorne rooms !!!

she said they were amazing, must be great to see in real !!!

I had such a ball seeing this again myself! I used to go there every year when I works for the Chicago Public Schools but that was 9 years ago (Wow time flys when you are having fun).

I saw the Thorne rooms only one time and I was IN school so I would love to see them now that I am a grown up!

:blink:

Every time I see this Castle I have to just stop and try to take it all in. Every time I see it I swear it's just as amazing as the first - I wonder what it would be like to see in person but I imagine it would be quite a thrill.

-David