Electric Chandelier Adaptors

mcaced

Has anybody out there tried those little chandelier adaptors? They're supposed to allow you to plug your chandelier directly into them and then they plug into the tape wire. It's advertised that an "easy twist" will release your chandelier from the adaptor (miniatures.com). It's supposed to be an easy way to change light bulbs, I guess. Anyways, anybody tried them??

I have a room that will be hard to get to when the time comes to change the lightbulb and was thinking this might make it easier.

YES!!! I use them for all of my 'chained' chandeliers. These are the twist in ones, not the plug in which I was warned off from by a real expert in wiring. You'll love them! ;)

I used the twist-in adapters on the charity dollhouse for the chandeliers as I knew the house would be moved several times before finding its home. Didn't want chandeliers to have to be taped up or --worse-- bang around.

They are really nice and easy to use. I've used the pin-ins for wall sconces and was happy with them, but I think gravity would work against any kind of pin-in on the ceiling!

Go to Hobby Supply Catalog and search for these item numbers for pictures.

#72800 = ceiling canopy chandelier adapter that screws in (have used this and it works fine)

#72804 = push-in chandelier adapter (this is the one that I think won't hold up under the pull of gravity, but I haven't tried it)

#72802 = wall sconce adapter (have used these successfully)

Sorry, but the house I used them in is not handy for pictures. Hope this helps.

#72804 = push-in chandelier adapter (this is the one that I think won't hold up under the pull of gravity, but I haven't tried it)

I've tried it and sure enough, gravity works. It took a day or two, but that thing dropped like parts of my ananotmy when I turned 40. I tried adding a drop of glue, but it still sagged. (to the light, not my backside) The light works great if you want to sit there and hold it in place, but since most of us have better things to do with our time, I'd go with the screw in adapter instead.

Deb

Here's a photo of the chandelier in my Colonial in use -- it's not very clear, but the light's bad and I can't move it around. The first pic is one of the chandelier removed. Basically, you remove the original canopy and attach the twist-in canopy to the wiring. The twist attachment attaches to your chandelier wire. A half twist attaches the light to the ceiling and a twist counter-clockwise removes it. Very handy. I removed it to pack up for our move and just put it back in when I re-set the house.

post-287-1156114405_thumb.jpg

post-287-1156114440_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am electrical-iliterate, tho I can wire a dollhouse faster than lightening, but when it comes to installing the fixture, I'm lost. With the adaptors, do you just screw in the adaptor to the flat tape and then wire your chandelier to a matching piece so that when you put them together, it makes a connection or is there some kind of wiring you have to do to the ceiling adaptor? I really hate working upside down with teeny-tiny wires!

I am electrical-iliterate, tho I can wire a dollhouse faster than lightening, but when it comes to installing the fixture, I'm lost. With the adaptors, do you just screw in the adaptor to the flat tape and then wire your chandelier to a matching piece so that when you put them together, it makes a connection or is there some kind of wiring you have to do to the ceiling adaptor? I really hate working upside down with teeny-tiny wires!

The ceiling adaptor receptacle has two wires that need to be attached to the tape wire with brads. The brads should be soldered in place so they won't wiggle loose later. The adaptor is then fixed permanently to the ceiling.

On the part that goes on the fixture, you need to cut off the plug from the fixture (if there is one), bare the wires for a couple of inches, stick them through a hole in the adaptor plate, and screw them in place with screws included with the adaptor plate. This is done outside the dollhouse and is not very difficult.

The screws on the adaptor plate stick up a bit. The heads of the screws fit into tiny grooves in the ceiling receptacle. A slight twist locks them together.

The directions in the package are really very clear.

I don't know what house you're wiring, but can it be turned upside down or sideways? It's so much easier to work on the ceilings that way!

:p Oh, wow, Kathie! You're suggestion that I turn the dollhouse upside down to wire in the chandelier adaptors just brought back strong memories of when I worked at the Fascination Shop here in Edmonds, WA (a dollhouse shop). I had totally forgotten that the owner of the shop had actually constructed two V-shaped holders so that we could turn the dollhouses upside down, not only to wire them but to apply textured ceilings or wallpaper. It's been a few years so I had not remembered. I'm working on the Pierce and the roofs are already on. It would take 2-3 of those V-shaped holders but for the time and aggravation saved, it still might be worth my time to try to make them. Plus, I plan on buying either my own Pierce (this one I'm doing for a friend) or a Garfield so the holders would be used then as well. Thanks so much!

It would take 2-3 of those V-shaped holders but for the time and aggravation saved, it still might be worth my time to try to make them. Plus, I plan on buying either my own Pierce (this one I'm doing for a friend) or a Garfield so the holders would be used then as well. Thanks so much!

Hmmm ... if you turn it upside down on the roof ridge, could you balance it with a couple of strategically placed gallon paint buckets and some old bathroom towels rolled up?

:) I am so grateful, Kathie! You are totally awesome! This is a great idea.

I read your post about how you finished the exterior of your Orchid...you used wallboard mud and a sponge...can you give me details on the sponge and how long did you let the mud set up before you pounced it with the sponge? I have Greenleaf's stucco...the powder you mix with water...is that as good as wallboard mud? I'm not totally happy with the results...

:) I am so grateful, Kathie! You are totally awesome! This is a great idea.

I read your post about how you finished the exterior of your Orchid...you used wallboard mud and a sponge...can you give me details on the sponge and how long did you let the mud set up before you pounced it with the sponge? I have Greenleaf's stucco...the powder you mix with water...is that as good as wallboard mud? I'm not totally happy with the results...

I've never used Greenleaf's stucco, so I can't really compare them. The joint compound/wallboard mud is sort of a buttery consistency. I buttered it on, smoothed it a bit, then pounced it lightly with a piece of a regular old cellulose sponge. I didn't really wait for it to set up. I had to rinse the sponge a few times, as it picks up the mud, but it really wasn't too troublesome.

two V-shaped holders

I read a tip somewhere that said to find a box that is big enough and put it upside down in the box

I use my trash can.

remember I work sitting down so the trash can puts the house at work level and usually accomodates the roof peaks pretty well.

nutti :)