Advice on the Pierce Dollhouse

elsaann

Good Afternoon,

I have decided to build the Pierce Dollhouse. I had two hand-made dollhouses when I was a child but I would like to build one on my own. I have ordered the Pierce dollhouse and am expecting it to arrive on Monday (25th).

Would you mind giving me some general tips and advice on how to handle this project? For example do I paint as I go, when should I put up walpaper? Also any tips during the construction process would be most apreciative!

I am really looking forward to tackling this new project!

Thank you all for taking the time out of you day to help me. Happy Easter! :)

Hi Elsa, and :welcome: to the forum!

The best advice I can give for building any kit house is to

1. Regarding the directions: read the directions several times before you do anything. It will give you an idea of how to procede. That said, disregard part of the instructions, the part that says to use hot glue. Today's hot glue will not last. Use a wood or craft glue. Also, you may want to disregard the bit that tells you when to install the windows; many of us leave the window installation until after the gluing and painting is finished to protect the clear acetate window panes. Once they get messed up, it's nearly impossible to clean them.

2. Regarding the sheets of pieces: Compare them to the schematic sheets that come with the kit to be sure you have all of the pieces. You may want to use a magic marker to darken the number on each sheet so it will be easier to find it later on. Then, write with pencil on each piece before it is removed from the sheet. I find it helpful to mark UP and INSIDE or OUTSIDE on parts that could get turned around.

3. Removing pieces from sheets: Some of us take them all out of the sheets before we begin. Others of us release the parts only as we need them. Do whatever is more comfortable for you. If you decided to take them all out, have a bunch of plastic baggies handy so you can organize the pieces into logical groupings, like windows, doors, etc. Because of the nature of plywood, some of the pieces may resist removal. Don't try to just push them out if they resist; use an X-actor or utility knife/box cutter or similar tool to cut around the edges.

4. Preparing the pieces for assembly: Despite your best efforts, some pieces will be chipped or a bit ragged around the edges, and the edges will be a little rough. It happens. They need to be sanded smooth. Missing bits can be filled in with wood filler or Spackle or joint compound and then sanded smooth. This can be tedious but will make all the difference in how the finished house looks.

5. Dry fit: Fit the main pieces of the house together and hold them in place with masking or painter's tape. This is a good idea for a couple of reasons. You can make any adjustments, like making a tab smaller or a slot bigger, to assure perfect fit when it comes time to glue. You can also note the places that will be difficult to reach after the house is glued together. In the Pierce, the front hallway is very difficult to reach after the stairway is installed. You may want to paint or wallpaper that area before you install the stairs. (Or you may, as some have, remove the tabs from the stairway to make it removable.) Dry fitting will help you make that decision.

That's probably enough to give you to think about as you wait for the kit to arrive. As other questions arise, feel free to come back with questions.

And do pop over to the New Members Forum and introduce yourself! :D

• 8 months later...

I too is building the Pierce after 20 years put away with only part of the floors done. I'm stuck on the outside paint I want to use so i've been down a few days 'thinking' of what I want to do then I can put in the front and dining doors. step by step, day by day. Have fun!

Y'all can also do a "search" using "getting started" to get some ideas for how to proceed. The dry fit allows you to practice building following the instructions without committing yourself to glue (please use a good carpenter's wood glue, NOT the hot glue mentioned in the instructions; and shellac isn't necessary, if you're going to stain or prime; otherwise if you must seal the wood a clear sanding sealer will do the job as well).