Novalyte's NLFF-4 Random Flickering Unit

madtex1967

Hi Everyone,

In getting the last of my electrical supplies for my Garfield, I am looking at flickering units for the fireplaces (at least 4 will be installed). I have a couple of the Houseworks units, but have read they will need their own transformer or the rest of the lights will also flicker.

In an earlier post, I mentioned am going to use the Houseworks lighting control panel (no longer in production) to light the house. I am still afraid the cheaper units will cause the rest of the house lights to flicker. I have found the Cir-Kit units that will not cause this problem. But at $40 each, OUCH!

I was reading up on the Novalyte unit that controls four independent channels at once. That would certainly work for my four fireplaces. And at the $50 cost, I can afford to splurge on that vs. $120 (with HBS 25% off sale).

I was wondering if anyone had installed one of these units, or has seen one in use, and can tell me how well you like it. Before I make the investment, I would like some feedback.

Thanks!

Matt

Does it have to be this unit? I am so impressed with the led tealights/battery operated I ordered one flickering and one not. the flickering is quite tall so the other is probably best choice for my rock fireplace.

with each of the lights they have a battery in plus new one sent with order.

I am looking for the lady who did this one...... can't find her photo. will keep looking.

led light

good luck to you,

LindaC

Hi Matt! I have actually seen one of these, and they are awesome. Went to a short little class about them, taught by the Novalyte guy, whose name completely escapes me at the moment. He is a super nice guy, if you contact him I'm sure he would answer any questions. In the class it was very straight forward, and from what I remember, he said that you didn't need a separate transformer.

These came about because he said he likes realism in his houses, and none of the flickering units pleased him. He was waiting for that true random flickering, and no one made it. So, he said I guess I'll have to make it myself! (Sound familiar?) After all, he was an engineer (how convenient). So these have true random flickering, and yes, thye have 4 channels, so if you have chandeliers with candles in them, you can wire the individual bulbs to different channels, and they will flicker separately. How cool is that!

Funny part of the class was, most of the attendees were slightly older ladies (I'm getting to where I can't say much about that myself!). Well, he's an engineer, and you could tell from his explanation. I was fine with that, being an electronics tech in my previous life and wokring with electrical engineers for 8 years, I understood the tech terms. His wife was sitting in the corner translating for the others. She said they come with 2 sets of instructions: one written by him, one by her...

Richard Huff! That's his name. I knew if I babbled enough it would come to me. His wife is RuthAnne. Nice people.

Let us know how it goes!

Linda - Thanks for idea of the battery operating lights. I have seen those before, but really wanted something to give each fireplace its own flicker that I can operate from the lighting control panel and not have to turn on each individually.

Bluebear - Great information you gave me there! I too know some of the terms since my Dad owned an TV sales/repair store so I can understand SOME of the technical terms :roflmao: I just sent an email to Novalyte through their website asking a few questions and explaining what I was interested in doing with the flickering unit. I am anxious to hear back.

And while sitting here, I just was struck with a great idea of how to hide the lighting control panel and the flicker unit (should I buy it). Yippee! :roflmao:

• 6 months later...

Meme planted the flickering seed in my brain, and I've been doing some sleuthing. What did you find out, Matt? I have two fireplaces and some cellar lights and an attic light I am considering for flickering. Will the one unit control all that or do you need more than one? :D

Hi Brae!

I did purchase one, but have not wired my Garfield yet. I should start next week (fingers crossed). The exterior is 95% completed and I am doing finishing touches this week on it. So wiring will be my next step.

I did contact Novalyte about the unit, and told them, in detail, what I wanted to do. They said it would perform perfect for my four fireplaces and each would flicker at different rates, independently of each other. If I wanted to add more lights, I could do so, but if connected with a fireplace, they would flicker at the same rate as the fireplace.

So, with that said, I am getting really anxious to get the unit installed and see how it performs! I will certainly update as I get to that point.

Matt