The Garfield

Kari Lynn

My husband has been giving me my Christmas presents early this year(which is fine with me :) ). A week ago it was a new camera today he took me out and got me...The Garfield :hug: . I have wanted this house for a very long time. I am concerned about the size, however, and the difficulty in building it. Could anyone tell me, roughly what is the smallest door width I could get away with in my house that the Garfield would fit through? And, about how difficult would people rate it to build? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Kari

My husband has been giving me my Christmas presents early this year(which is fine with me :) ). A week ago it was a new camera today he took me out and got me...The Garfield :hug: . I have wanted this house for a very long time. I am concerned about the size, however, and the difficulty in building it. Could anyone tell me, roughly what is the smallest door width I could get away with in my house that the Garfield would fit through? And, about how difficult would people rate it to build? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Kari

The Garfield was the first house I built. It's a LOVELY house. Now, 5 houses later, there is a lot I would have done differently, but I was a novice, didn't know any better, bought it on a whim...and was overwhelmed when it showed up! It is certainly a challenge to build...but worth all the time and frustration. Just take your time, make sure you dry fit sections of it, because there are several areas that won't be easily accessible once it's assembled.

This means, too, that you'd need to plot out wallpaper (or wall finishing), and certainly lighting, if you're going to do that, in advance...unless you have tiny people ..6" people..willing to do the electrical and decorating for you! :D

The narrowest width is 31" with the front steps in place. If you remove the front steps, it's 29 inches wide. So it should fit through most doorways -- if you don't put it on a base. The minimum doorway would be a 32" without taking off the door and removing the hinges. :) Mine is on a wider base. I don't think it'll fit through the doors of my house. Fortunately I don't intend to move any time soon! :p

My gallery has a ton of pictures of the Garfield, in various stages of construction..as I came here when I got the box, looking for help, and folks were very generous with their time and trouble..so I "repaid" them with tons of photos! :)

Anyway..have a great time! And what a nice Christmas gift!

Hi Kari!

Welcome to the world of the Garfield!

I can't add anything to the dimensions given to you already. They are accurate.

Looking at all the pieces in the box is overwhelming! Take your time and dry fit as you go! That is important. I found some pieces do not fit as they should, and sanding and some trimming of the tabs will be needed. Be sure to have some masking tape and wood glue ready to start construction!

This was my 2nd GL house to build and my 5th one overall. I would say it has some challenges, but it is so much fun and worth it. You can see in my gallery I am bashing my Garfield, and still not done with it. I need to upload some new pictures so everyone can see the progress. In my bashing, I have not started on the interior decorating. I am one of those miniaturist that like to wallpaper and do the trimming after the house is assembled. Because of the bash, I am moving some walls, so I am able to do this. If you do plan on building the kit as instructed, you will need to do some wallpapering on those hard to reach places.

Best of luck, and certainly don't hesitate to reach out for encouragement and help on this forum! The resources and the people on here are a great help! :)

Matt

Hi Kari!

Welcome to the world of the Garfield!

I can't add anything to the dimensions given to you already. They are accurate.

Looking at all the pieces in the box is overwhelming! Take your time and dry fit as you go! That is important. I found some pieces do not fit as they should, and sanding and some trimming of the tabs will be needed. Be sure to have some masking tape and wood glue ready to start construction!

This was my 2nd GL house to build and my 5th one overall. I would say it has some challenges, but it is so much fun and worth it. You can see in my gallery I am bashing my Garfield, and still not done with it. I need to upload some new pictures so everyone can see the progress. In my bashing, I have not started on the interior decorating. I am one of those miniaturist that like to wallpaper and do the trimming after the house is assembled. Because of the bash, I am moving some walls, so I am able to do this. If you do plan on building the kit as instructed, you will need to do some wallpapering on those hard to reach places.

Best of luck, and certainly don't hesitate to reach out for encouragement and help on this forum! The resources and the people on here are a great help! :)

Matt

Thanks for the heads up, Matt.

I saw your bashed Garfield, it is amazing.

Thank you so much, Ann.

I also must say I have spent a good amount of time looking at pics of your

Garfield, it is absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you! :hug:

When I get done with the rehab I'm working on now, I intend to work some more on my Lady Garfield -- redo a couple of rooms and figure out what I'm going to do with the tower -- another area that you should think about before you get it all glued together.. :)

Thank you! :dunno:

When I get done with the rehab I'm working on now, I intend to work some more on my Lady Garfield -- redo a couple of rooms and figure out what I'm going to do with the tower -- another area that you should think about before you get it all glued together.. :thumb:

I have really been looking at that tower, and it makes me a little nervous. The house is still in the box believe it or not(it will be coming out today though). For the past thee days my husband has been helping me rearrange our office to make room for The Garfield. After reading all the warnings here about the size I realized the office was the only room in the house it would be able to be moved in and out off with ease.

Have fun with your rehab. And let us know what you decide for your tower, I'd be very interested. :drool2: