Stucco and paint

srnewbie

My little "Orchid House" is still in the box and I am trying to make all my plans ahead. Has anyone mixed their own "stucco" with sand and paint - are there any tricks that help - anyone know the proportions (recipe) to mix it. And do I need to prepare the wood first in any way - read somewhere that I should paint any wood surface with a 50/50 mix of alcohol and shellac??? Do I "prepare" wood with shellac mixture if it will be covered with wallpaper? I really am starting from square one here! Thanks -

Hey, there srnewbie, and welcome to the forum!! :D

You don't need to do the alcohol/shellac thing. Most of us prime first with just any household primer or spray primer. You can just mix your sand with the paint and paint away. There is also a textured paint you can get at any hardware/paint store, paint that on and then paint your color over top. I don't know if they'd mix a color for you with that or not . . . somehow I don't think so, but it's worth asking. Also, for a stucco effect you can use paperclay. I used that on my Buttercup/Canterbury bash and it turned out great. Then I did a paint wash over it.

Good luck and keep us posted!! Would love to see pictures too!! :)

Hi Lois! Looking forward to seeing your Orchid -- I'm doing one later on this year for my grand-neice for Christmas.

I'm not even sure I've ever seen shellac -- do they still sell it? :D

Anyway, you don't want to put yourself thru all that. Usually you prime the walls same as you would the drywall in your house to create a 'tooth' so that your wallpaper will adhere and a base for your paint so it isn't sucked into the wood and you end up putting 4 coats on it. Just use a flat white paint to prime. Do not prime any surface that you want stained.

You can certainly make your own stucco, it's just paint with fine sand (from the craft store) mixed in -- but, again, there's the stucco that Michael's sells in 8 oz jars in different shades, regular stucco paint (yes, they'll tint it for you) from any hardware store, spackle, clay and the ever popular and super easy textured paper that you paint any color you want...believe Havanaholly told me it's called anaglypta paper -- isn't that a great word? :)

Have fun!

YEah, I LOVE anaglypta wallpaper for ceilings. If you will look carefully at the right of this post you will see what I use for stucco as well as "stonework" of any kind: SPACKLING COMPOUND!!! Paperclay is fine, sand in the paint works (Lynette, AKA nuttiwebgirl, made her own; don't know if she used a formula).

If you aren't going to prime or stain & warping worries you, use clear sanding sealer; I buy quart buckets. For primer I buy whatever brand of flat white interior latex is on sale.

There is (so far) no part of building or decorating these kits I don't enjoy! So far the only downside to retirement (besides wondering if I'll live long enough to build all the Greenleaf kits, but I'm gonna have a blast trying!) ia living on the pension; and that merely means an opportunity to learn to make my own furniture, dolls & accessories.

my formula for paint and sand is

paint and sand...lol :)

seriously...the last batch I made was in a quart pickle jar of which I filled half with white ceiling paint(because that is what I have at the moment) and than I just poured in the sand. I uses sand from the floral section at wal-mart...it is finer than the pool filter sand I have been using. I mix until my stirer has a gritty look.

you do not want to make it to thick or it will not cover well and muck up your brush(dont ask how I know this)

I use white paint(again because its what I have) and because Im generally doing the ceilings with it.

but if I paint a roof or exterior I just paint over it in the color of my choice.

I am to sand and paint what Holly is to spackle and tracy is to paperclay.

I like it and the look

another method to use is to paint toliet tissue on with paint or mod-podge.

I now like to use paint. this makes more a plaster effect. in my lily blog you will find examples of both finishes.

I am getting ready to start an Orchid myself. thought I would do a haunted house but I think I will keep it sweet and simple.

looking forward to seeing your project!

nutti :D

You are all terrific - thanks for the suggestions on primer and stucco. We are traveling soon so I may be scarce until late September but I will try to check out some of your beautiful work in the meantime. Many, many thanks for the help. I have a feeling this could be a new addiction. Live well and laugh often.