Cracked walls in Duracraft Victorian Mansion

esrya

I have a Duracraft Victorian mansion. The kit is 30 years old, and its built and finished (by me). The walls are painted (both sides) and wallpapered (inside, of course). A few years after the house was built, a couple of the walls developed horizontal cracks. Usually one per wall. The crack opens and closes depending upon the humidity of my home. Just about every outside wall has a crack now. Some are barely noticeable, as they are in the grooves of the "siding", but some are quite noticeable. Its disappointing and I feel it lowers the value of the house.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? I've tried filling the cracks with glue and it didnt work. Maybe I need a filler that will stretch as the house contracts. I could put a sealer on the outside of the house, but the inside is wallpapered.

I run a humidifier in the winter, but I live in WI so it just naturally gets dry here, especially during winter.

Thanks for your help.

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that Lynette has put her finger on your problem. In your situation I would consider removing the wallpaper from the affected rooms and carefully spackling the walls with vinyl spackling compound and, when it dries, reprime and repaper. What an excellent excuse to redecorate!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have the Dura Craft Victorian Mansion too. (built in 1986) I also have experienced the same problem that you have. I did two things that seems to have solved the problem. First I repainted my house with Americana paint that has been designed just for wood craft projects and does not dry the wood like other paints do over time. Also, I read an article about the best way to display and store a mini home and it seems that a "museum" atmosphere is the best. What this means is a cooler and consistent temperature and away from direct sunlight. I repainted by dollhouse and moved it to a room that I can control the temperature and keep it at a constant cool range. It has been three years since I made these changes and for the time being no new cracks have developed. Good luck with your dollhouse.