Adding a wall to the Pierce bedroom

Just One More

I don't like stairs coming into the bedroom so thought I'd add a wall. It makes the room quite a bit smaller though. The wall area by the stairs wasn't in very good shape for papering because I did a little damage removing the hot glued window frames. B) I plastered the wall with the damage by the windows. Without adding the extra wall I'd have to continue the plastering on the rest of the wall to the bay. I guess plaster would look nice in a pretty color.

The only thing I don't like about the Pierce is there are no doors separating the rooms except in the kitchen. I cut a little off the wall in the room over the kitchen so my little people wouldn't fall off the edge. :) The outside is almost finished except to get the upgrades for the porch and finish the shingles.

Does the room look too small with the wall added? I made a railing to enclose the top of the stairs using the porch railing I won't be using. It matches the rest of the stairs so that worked out pretty good. I will try papering the ceilings because moving walls around leaves tab slots to fill.

The doors are finished now much nicer than they were. They had been put in with hinges but opening out, so that had to be changed. I've never done hinges so don't know how I'll get them in. I may just try the masking tape again and put the frames over it on the front door and just glue in the dining room doors. The doors won't be put in til the house is finished. There is so much I want to do to make this house really nice so I'm just going to take my time now that all the painting is done. I need more Victorian furniture too. Good thing Ernie is having a lot of Holiday discounts. :p Pics in my gallery.

Pat, I really like the changes you're making. Since you're undecided about what the upper rooms on the left will be, might you consider taking down the top half of the wall by the stairs to open up that corner? Or take the wall out entirely? If the room with the bay becomes the bathroom, you could make a lovely seat in the bay. And the room between the bath and the stairs could be a nice airy sewing/sitting room. The bedroom wall could be extended and maybe a real door put in?

I like that idea with the real door to the bedroom. It looks just too open now. I'll have to get out my foam core. I could cut down the wall like you said by the stairs or put another railing there. The miiddle room would make a nice sewing room. There is lots of space around the stair area for chests etc. I thought of window seats in the bays too. Thanks for the ideas.

I ordered my porch railings and posts today and the white living room set #73102 from HBS. I have to get started on wallpapering today. The bay window in the LR is just right for a Christmas tree and a chair or something afterwards.

Pat, I have my wall cut out to place in just about the exact same place. I really like the wall addition, it keeps the stairs out of the bedroom :) I noticed looking through pictures that there are several others who've done the same thing. I think it will be great.

I got the wall all cut out from 1/8 bass wood and have the door opening on the window bay side. That way you can look through the front window past the stairs into the bedroom. I did find out though that the attic floor is about 3/4 inch further in than the second floor so will have to add a strip of wood to the attic floor and angle it off as it reaches the vertical roof pieces on the open side. It's a good thing I have a lot of scrap wood. I think I'll have the middle room be a sewing/sitting room. Haven't decided on the left side bay room. It could be a small bedroom or a good size bathroom. I have a Victorian bathroom set which was unfinished wood from HBS I stained, and it would look nice. The houses always seem so big until you start trying in furniture. :)

I decided to put the bedroom door on the outside edge. I had to add a strip to the attic floor to match the second floor. For some reason the edge is a little over 1/2 inch in from the second floor edge. I made the room over the kitchen, the bathroom, moving the wall over to match the kitchen wall where the door is. I added two narrow pieces to the edges of the bathroom to enclose it somewhat since there's no door. I may bring the wall out further and add a door but it's hard changing so many things around. :) The middle room will be for chests of drawers, a sewing machine and a couple of trunks. I put a few new pics in my gallery. Now I can start wallpapering and after that's done I can glue the new walls in.

I used the punchout for the Fairfields' bedroom doorways to make bedroom doors, and 1/8" basswood for the second half to sandwich the chamois hinges between, and hung them under the door frames I made from craft sticks..

• 1 year later...