Tack glue

frank

Welcome to the Neighborhood Frank. What glue are you using? to tack glue you need a tacky glue and regular white household glue is not tacky enough. I use "Probond" or "Titebond" glue by elmers. they are both wood glues and get tacky pretty fast. You can also use Aleenes tacky glue and it works well too. It's a white glue that is tacky. The clear Aleenes tacky glue is not tacky enough for dollhouse building and I have had issues with it ^_^

Hope this helps! What are you building?

I am not new to dh work (not a newbie but not an expert by any means) and I think i know what you are talking about.

Does tacking mean using tacky glue (i use aileens too) and putting it on both pieces and putting together and then taking apart until it gets gummy and then put together and then reinforce with tape or clamps.

I mean i do that but didnt know that is what it was called.

Oh..Welcome to you Frank!!

hi Frank, welcome to the forum. I also use Tacky Glue but I don't put the pieces together and take them apart. I put my glue on a piece of waxed paper and let it set for a few minutes until it thickens and then put it on the pieces with a toothpick or my finger. I think it was Peggi that once mentioned baby wipes are a necessity when building houses. I'm going to second that one.

Wendy

I

think it was Peggi that once mentioned baby wipes are a necessity when building houses. I'm going to second that one.

It was I and to me it is as necessary as sand paper and glue ^_^ :o Without them I would be permanently stuck to my first house.

I put the glue on one piece, stick them together, pull them apart, wait a minute or so & stick them back together (I also use carpenter's wood glue but think the "stainable" glue is a waste of money).

I thought "tack gluing" was like "spot gluing", where you use a few dabs of something like super glue to hold pieces together while the wood glue "cures". That never worked for me, I find that masking tape for most things and heavy-duty staples work much better for holding edges together while the glue sets.

I just put the glue on and either clamp or tape together till it sets. Now on some things like siding or shingles I spread the glue on with an old credit card and by the time it is ready to place--it is usually tacky. But it is still clamped/taped till it won't move anymore.

I put the glue on one piece, stick them together, pull them apart, wait a minute or so & stick them back together

Well this is new to me too. I have never done it this way. I always used clamps ^_^

Now I gotta try this Holly. :o

I still use masking tape or clamps or my gluing jig or my old standby, old nursing textbooks, but the trick is to get the Probond to begin curing and when you put the pieces back together they're not as prone to slip & slide & fall apart.

I think I read that trick on a very old rec.crafts.dolhouse post...