Make your own paper clay

Roxxie

I have been told that Paper Clay differs from papermache. I wonder if you mixed a tablespoon fo dry plaster of paris in with the dry papermache and kept it moist whilst working with it, if the results wouldn't be similar to that of the Paper Clay...

I used my homemade mixture and it seemed to be drying ok on my experimental wall. This was a week ago because I only air dry. I just checked it and it has little cracks all over it and seems kind of fragile. Maybe the store manufactured Das is the was to go afterall. After all the work you don't want it to crack and fall apart immediately!

I ended up painting bricks by hand and it works for me! :)

I used something called papier maché powder for my wall. You mix it with water to a dough and after glueing the base press it on bit by bit. It can be smoothed out with a wet finger or knife and takes about a day to dry out depending on the thickness. I was very pleased with the results, its hard and seems to be fairly durable - good job because there are corners just waiting to be knocked. Here's a picture after painting

gallery_4015_3116_1825598.jpg

I have been told that Paper Clay differs from papermache. I wonder if you mixed a tablespoon fo dry plaster of paris in with the dry papermache and kept it moist whilst working with it, if the results wouldn't be similar to that of the Paper Clay...

I tried plaster of paris in a paper mache project once. I would up with a mess, and it cracked when it was dry.

No Roxxie, I didn't do anything different at the corners. Its really rock hard. I just carved the stones in with a little sculpting tool when it was still wet, left it to dry and it didn't crack or lift off the base at all. I'm quite impressed by this product. When I had finished painting, I sprayed it with Slivikrin firm hold to stop the mossy bits from shedding and that seems to have done the trick nicely.

Roxxie,

Have you checked out Connie's album. She did an awesome job with egg carton - or in her case, seedling trays I think. Hope she doesn't mind me sticking her pics in several posts but I think this finish is just beautiful. I'm sure it takes a long time though, cutting all those bricks.

gallery_4385_4020_1653505.png

Jo, I love your stonework and your conservatory extension is sort of what I had in mind for Mildred (only with a flat roof). Thanks for the picture of Connie's balcony & stonework.

Thanks for the heads up, Grazhe; it was a thought that's been bouncing around. Plaster of paris is pretty twitchy stuff, and I wondered. You almost have to have equal parts water & white glue to minimize the cracking with papermache, and I expect you'd have to process the paper pulp pretty thoroughly to break down the fibers into small enough particles. I think I'll (pardon the unintentional pun) stick with spackle for a while longer.