Trouble finding Dolls?

nikki

MiniLinda

I absolutely agree that molds are easy to use - I don't use them even though the faces can be altered because I want to make my own molds someday and I want to be able to sculpt portraits of people.

You should definitely give polymer clay a try - the great thing about is that it won't dry out while you're working on it - you can set it asside for a day or a month or longer! And provided it doesn't get dusty and dirty you can pick up right where you left off in sculpting and keep going - then when you're done just bake it in your oven to harden. :D

-David

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I do have some clay that I picked up (all together now!!) AT A GARAGE Sale!

Along with a pasta machine and toaster oven.

I also belong to THE CAMP, a mini group which is having a clay hints month.

Still a little leary - probably will love it and wonder why I haven't tried before!!!

What is keeping me back is that I can burn water! Not exactly a cook, me!

Still looking for an oven thermometer to complete my bag of tricks.

Linda McD from NOTL

Hi MiniLinda,

If you try it and find you don't love polymer clay don't be afraid to say so - everyone has their own medium. I like paperclay for doing rock work but it feels so light in my hands that I find myself being afraid to really work with it and I often work on my faces for 2-4 hours each before I take a break and it's sometimes a couple of days or more before I"m ready to bake them. Please let me know if the toaster oven works out. I bought a really small one - a $15.00 job at Walmart and it works great for my little mummified cats but burns my dollheads every time - even if it's only set for 10 min because apparently they're just thick enough to put them too close to the heating element ;) - on the upside I can still paint them but I was horrified to see smoke coming out and find my litte monster face charred. So for my dolls I use the regular oven and just try to do them several at a time instead of one at a time. I bought an oven thermometer for my own oven (of course it won't fit in my toaster oven - I knew I shouldn't have gone cheap on that! :D ) but if you get one at Walmart they can be a bit pricey I think - we have a 99 cent store and sometimes they get them in - a bargain for a buck!

When you do try it let us know how they come out - I'll be excited to see your first project in polymer :lol:

-David

Mariaskid, your dolls are absolutely beautiful! I had to study them for a quite a while, looking at all the details in them. Very great job!

MiniLinda and David, I am greatly enjoying your discussion of making dolls and working with clay. It's discussions like these that give me the courage to try things!

David, I will look in the Dollar store to see if I can find an oven thermometer.

I am teetering on the edge of the high-dive and you are ready to push me in! No Fair!

This is Clay month in THE CAMP (yahoo mini group), and there have been some absolutely fantastic hints about toaster ovens, baking clay, etc. If you joined, you could access the files and get a lot of valuable info. There are a bunch of pros on that list and I've really enjoyed my membership.

To subscribe, go to

THECAMP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

(I think)

Probably the best mini digest, and it hurts my heart not to say Miniature Collectors Club or Canadaminis, but DM (den mother or W. Marie) is doing such a whiz-bang job, I have to acknowledge it! (LOL) But the other two Canadian groups come pretty close!

Linda McD from NOTL, ONT, Canada

Yeah Tracy, she's a pistol!

Ps, The reason I keep replying as Linda from NOTL is that there is another minilinda on one of my other groups (go figure! - I thought the tag was so original!)

Betch we were all born around the same year - and I'm not telling, so don't ask!

Linda McD from NOTL

I was born in 1971 and I am proud of every day I live. My Great Grandmother never hid her age because she always said every day was a gift from God. I feel the same way....Okay, now do you feel guilty enough to tell ;) :p .

Seriously though, I am that way. I used to get upset cause people always ask me if my son was my brother now I am thankful when someone say that cause I am over the 30 year mark :lol: ;) Yeah some say I am still young so that is why I don't mind but, I tell you, when I am 1000 years old, I'll be just the same! :):D ;)

That is how my Aunts are. They won't tell anyone there age no matter what. My mom is 54 years old and forget her age. She always ask us (her kids) how old she is LOL. ;)

I also think it's cool how in this hobby, we are ageless! we have people as young as 10 collecting minis and people as old as 82 who are still in love with with minis!

:D

Tracy - oh you kid!

Don't mind telling my age - 1 year older than my teeth!

Actaully, betcha that most Lindas were born between 1945 and 1950. ? Linda Darnell? Who else? I really don't know, and would be interested to find out.

Linda McD from Nptl, Ont, Canada

hey I love all this chat about age - as I am feeling a though I am one of the oldest in this group..... being born in 1946..... well that explains my dolls house set in WW2... hahaah no I wasn't around during the war...

But to be honest I am always amazed how you never feel any older on the inside... For many years I waiting to start feeling like a 'grown up'... but guess it will never happen now....

It must be all these dollshouses keeping me young

Age! Are we talking about age! I've always said that I would never hide my age either, after all it's just a number! I'm sure we all look great for our age anyway! 1974, what does that make me..30, 31, 32? ( I really forgot.. anyways, I'll think about it later).

n

Tracy & Nikki,

With such great endorsements I guess I'd better go join the Camp! :D

Linda (cullen) - You know I wish I could say - Oh dolls are so hard to make, you have to be an artist , not just everyone can do it ... but I can't. They're really fun and easy just so long as you don't do what I do and get all tense when someone asks me to do one for them! I'm still at the state where I enter panic mode and drive myself nuts trying to make it "perfect" But for myself it's one of the most relaxing, fun and rewarding parts of miniature making. So I say - Go for it! ;)

-David

Ok, David and everyone! I said I would let you know when I did my first doll. I made one yesterday, it was fun. I enjoy working with the clay. The head was the hardest -- I am not at all pleased with it, but it was fun! I think it will just take practice and this one will definately not be included in her set of dolls! So here she is..

http://community.webshots.com/user/adeleilori

n

Nikki, she is a great first timer! Reminds my of my grandmother when we showed her our first house! (It's a lovely little starter home, dear) - We lived in that place 25 years!!!

Always save your first attempts, just to show yourself how much better you get! I am sure your daughter will love her.

Linda McD from NOTL, ONT, Canada

Oh, it's so funny, when I was done. as I sit there looking at this face, thinking "ugghh, how disappointing.." -- My 3 yr old walked up to me and said, "oooh, mama, mama, can I hold her?" So I said, ok.. She takes her and looks at her and says in the softeset little voice "she's so cute!" I gave her the biggest bear hug and must have kissed her 200 times!

n

Whoa, Nikki! She's cute!

Remember, if you're not yourself satisfied with the beauty of some efforts, you can always have friends of your doll family who have more "character," too. She looks really good to me, but you're the one who knows what you're ultimately aiming for. (And she certainly has more personality than what's available in stores! Give yourself a round of applause.)

wow she is so cute!

you did a fantastic job of it!

but dont give it to your daughter to play with....keep her in a rocking chair sewing or something where you can see her every day...she will inspire you to make your vision a reality.

she looks like a sweet lil granny!

is her hair clay also?

nutti :D

I think your little lady is just lovely.... she has real personality, and she makes you smile when you look at her... thats the best kind of doll. I bet she is the first of many.... keep going and keep showing us the pictures!!!

Hi Nikki,

I think she looks great! Actually looking at her - her face, the way her hair is done and how she's dressed - she reminds me of a woman I only met once and years ago who helped out a Christmas party for handicapped kids - she was so wonderful!! You may not have gotten exactly what you were trying for in this first doll but you certaintly captured the essance of a loving - Very huggable, and gentle soul!!

Congratulations on making your very first doll (aka scale character figure :D ) and I hope you do many more!! ;)

-David

WOW! you all have made me feel so much better. I think I've learned something from this as well, I guess I need to realize that sometimes the doll may take on a personality of it's own and just because it wasn't what I was looking for, doesn't make it a 'bad' doll.

David> Thank you! It really was fun, I can't wait to see my 10, 11, 100th doll, hehee..

Mariaskid> Thanks for motivation! I will keep going, and I'll also be experimenting with those nylon dolls too, as soon as I get up the nerve to hand sew.. hehe. (I'm a modern sewing machine girl!)

Nutti> You're right! I will keep her near me always, and cherish her. Maybe even had it down with MY dollhouse one day when I'm really really old.. She will inspire her, and I can always look back at her in years to come, and see the beginnings of a beautiful journey in this new hobby of mine! Yes, Her hair is clay also, the hair was a LOt of fun!

Calamari> Absolutely! I never thought of that! Character wise, she has THAT! I guess I succeeded in making something with more character then the massed produced stuff. I guess I need to remember that sometimes these dolls may take on a life of their own, and just because it wasn't what I was after, doesn't make it a 'bad' job..

Thanks all!

n