Trouble finding Dolls?

nikki

Hi all, I have been checking the web for a nice dollhouse family, preferably poseable for my daughter to get with her new dollhouse. I cannot seem to find a nice looking, well made poseable african american family. I have been to miniatures.com and a few others, honestly they seem to carry the same family, the victorian one and the modern one. Is ther anythingout there that I'm missing?

thanks in advance for all your help!

n

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a standard African-American family made by Horsman that is poseable. They're play-quality rather than the higher-end stuff like Erna Meyer, but they might be a start. Here's the first place that I found them:

http://www.dollhouses-trains-more.com/item...Page=store.aspx

The mother usually looks much better in person than she does in that photo! I'll see if I can find anything else out there, too.

Thank you calamari! Yes, they look very playable I thought. These may be the ones I hae to go with, I saw them at miniatures.com too, but the mom looks a little funny, hehe.. so I'm gald to hear she looks different in person. B)

thanks again

n

Yeah, she looks more normal. I was trying to dig up a family where the mother looked more like a real African-American person and less like a white girl who'd been dipped in dye, but to no avail. You'd end up having extremely tall Rosemary (7") married to the 6" tall Horsman male (who is very good-looking. Who knows -- he might like it.

Don't even get me started on trying to find Asian or Hispanic dolls at a reasonable price.

B) I hear you! There's got to be something out there. I have found some adorable resin children. I'm not sure what resin is, but I'm thinking they're probably not the playable type. I am on a mission! Maybe this is a market that needs to be filled, huh?

n

Nikki are you near a Hobby Lobby? If so they carry some items and you can see the stuff in person. Or try the Barbie's little sister dolls and see if they will work and can't remember what her name is.

Peggi

As far as height for dollhouse dolls, here are the rules of thumb.

In 1:12, a normal adult should be 5.5 to 6 inches tall. I find that 5" action figures (e.g., Nico and Fuzz) also work perfectly well, especially if the house runs a little small on room size. In the smaller-proportioned Greenleaf kits, you're probably also using smaller-proportioned furniture, so everything looks right together.***

If an adult is 4 to 4.5" tall, that's 3/4 scale (1:18). This is a useful scale if you decide to build an entire village of Buttercups, Coventries, Orchids, and Sugarplums, as it can otherwise be difficult to squeeze bathrooms and eating space into these houses. Standard "collector" dollhouse furniture is too big for this scale, but it's the normal scale for decades of plastic furniture, as well as Lundby.

If an adult is about 3" tall, that's 1/2 scale (1:24). This is the scale of the Fairfield and the (out of production) Victorianna. It's also the size of Playmobil and LGB trains.

If an adult is about 1.5" tall, that's 1/4 scale (1:48), or the right size for the Greenleaf Village. This is also O gauge in trains.

If a doll is between two scales, you can generally go with the smaller scale if the doll is delicately proportioned, but go with the larger scale if the doll is broad in the beam. Thus Calico Critters, while 1:24 in height, can live happily in a Sugarplum, as they need the extra space for furniture that accommodates their width. But my husband's 3.5" Plastoy figures can hang out in a 1:24 universe because they're slender, even though they're a half inch too tall.

***Things that are labeled 1:12 (or not labeled, because they're "normal dollhouse scale") are not necessarily all the same proportions. Don't let this alarm you! It's kind of like real life, in that a contemporary big, bulky living room set will not fit in the living room of a 1920s cottage. Take measurements, and you'll quickly get a feel for what will work where.

Elsewhere, I provide excruciating amounts of detail on matching scales.

Oooh, yes! Just saw your Loving Family, Nikki. Those dolls run slightly large for 1:12, so you may want to go with furniture at the bulky end of 1:12. The good news is that many of the most affordable furniture sets run bulky, so you can furnish the entire house quickly without budget-busting. And that'll be a good match with a smaller child -- you can always upgrade gradually as your daughter becomes old enough to help build furniture.

Hi Nikki,

Have you tried making a set of dolls? I know it sounds daunting but there are some great online dollmaking groups and tutorials, not to mention some really excellent books available. I never was one much for "dolls" but then I saw James Carringtongs 1:12 scale character figures made out of polymer clay and I was hooked! I've been making dolls ever since - fretting over each one and then disappointed cause none are as good as I'd like B) It's a bit of work but it's one way to make sure you get exactly what you want at a price you can afford - just make it yourself :D Some people even make portrait dolls of themselves and their families - it's pretty cool.

-David

Calamari> Thank you so much! I am here to learn so that was great! Good to know just in case those are the dolls I have to go with!

David! > I would love some more information on this! I am sure that there are other african american families out there having the same problem I am having - would love to see some African American family miniatures that are as beautiful and breathtaking as some of the caucasion ones I have seen. There probably isn't a huge market, but I wouldlove to make them every now and then for families searching for them.

I check around on the web, and absolutely, it looked and sounded daunting! The molds and prices were unbelievable! So I nixed that idea! Are the polymer dolls as much fun to play with for little ones? are they breakable, etc. My daughter probably wouldn't care if they were poseable (her imagination is too colorful!) Please let me know the rest of the info..

n

Hi Nikki,

Yes the dolls are breakable. I'd say they're probably just as delicate as porcelain ones - especially their little hands - the good news is that unlike porcelain they're usually repairable! Polymer clay is great stuff, you can bake it, add more and bake it again - so if a hand breaks off, you can make a new one and replace it. Two books I would highly recommend are Making 1:12 Scale Character Figures by James Carrington. This book is great because it takes you through making the bodies - complete with full size pattern to measure your body against and it's specifically for 1:12 scale. The other book which is my favorite is Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay by Katherine Dewey. She makes figures of all sizes, but they are really exceptional and she shows you how to make your own tools. It's a bit more pricey than Carrington's book.

Online you can find lots of groups dedicated to figure making and/or doll making. Yahoo is a great place to start with such groups as learning to sculpt figures group led by Wayne the Dane Hansen who has been in the business of making originals for model manufacturers for about 30+ years and the Fairy Doll artists group - dedicated of course to fairy dolls :D

Just to show you the detail possible here are a couple of sites to check out

http://members.tripod.com/margenesminiatures/

This is Margene Crossan's site - a retired Disney animatronics person- she does mostly wizards, witches and the like - some of her figures are highly articulated

Then there is Carrignton's work of course - most of his figures are not posable but but he does allow that option in his book by building the figures on a flexable armature (braided wire) and leaving the joints free of clay they can be posed as you like. Carrington's Dolls

Carrington is one of the premier figure makers who does figures of people of all cultures.

Here are a few of my character figures - you can see they're nothing like the pro's do. I haven't gotten much better in this year - but I haven't gotten any worse either B) so I guess I won't complain too much :D

My Webpage

I hope this helps some and doesn't make it sound too confusing. It's a lot of fun and just a couple blocks of clay will get you started. Don't forget Micheal's Crafts often has sales on their polymer clay for around 99 cents a block. The down side is you will probably have to mix your own color since they only have one "flesh color" - the upside is you can mix your own color! - any shade or flesh tone. :D - David

WOW!! I have to tell ya, your dolls are right up to par! I really like the Gypsy! wow! and margene has some Island people on her site (like me!) that was a pleasant surprise!!! :D

I will definitely look into the books.. But I gott a say, it looks a little intimidating.. B) That's never stopped me before, but it does look that way. I would just be tickled pinnk If I could create a family by the end of July!!! :D:D ( I know, I know! ) Thanks a WHOLE lot for the info... I will begin to delve!

n

Hi Nikki,

Glad to help! B) Wow what a great site - I hope she gets more tutorials up soon (I'm a tutorial junkie!) The Ndebele doll is just beautiful!! Thank you for the kind compliments on my own dolls - the Gypsy man is my favorite and I'm trying to make him a Vado (caravan) to live in heheh. It's slow going cause I have no clue what I"m doing - but sometimes I think that's half the fun of doing - the learning part!

As you're looking at Doll making supplies you'll find lots of fairly expensive tools and tool sets out there - let me tell you some of my favorites - Toothpicks, needle tool (a needle inserted in a roll of polymer clay for a handle) old knitting needles. The one tool I really consider a must buy though is a pasta machine - it really helps in blending colors and keeps your hands from getting over worked and sore - Micheal's sells these for about 25$ - They often have 40% off coupons - But- check at yard sales and thrift shops - lots of folks buy the hand crank pasta machines use it once and say forget it! so you can pick them up sometimes for a little ast a buck or two. And since you'll be using it for the clay and not food used works Just fine! :D Some of the tools I have are the more 'expensive' ones only there's a trick to that too - if you have a lapidary shop or lapidary show in your area these are called wax carving tools - and are less than half the price people ask for the exact same tools when they call them "doll sculpting tools" :D But Shhhh don't tell anyone, it's a trade secret :D:D

-David

Nikki,

You can also check out the online e-classes offered at http://www.minidollu.com. I took my first dollmaking class through them (she's pictured in my webshots album). Molding dolls from polymer clay isn't as daunting as I thought it would be, it just takes a lot of time, patience, and attention to detail. But to be honest, I don't think they're geared for "little hands" as they are fragile and can break as David mentioned. I think the funnest part for me was dressing the doll. I loved draping the fabric. Fun fun fun!

Oh! Thank you so much David! That information is invaluable! I was wondering aboutthe supplies, I really need to look for that book. I am also wondering where you get your molds, or if you use any for the heads?

Marie> I'm one step ahead of ya! (being nosey! :D ) I already found your webshots, and your doll, and theuniversity, which is actually how I found that African doll maker! hehehe...

Yeah, I did have an initial concern about breaking, but not much after second though, only because I have tried my best to raise my little one to play with natural material toys (wood, metals, clay, etc.) rather then "everything plastic". I think kids now a days "Learn" to throw everything, dump things, and just be rough and not careful with their toys, BECAUSE they are plastic, ya know? So fortunately, she is very careful. (she's a real girlie girl B)) Although I did see a tutotrial on the U site about using pipe cleaners to make arms and legs poseable! hmmm, that maybe an idea!

thanks again! You alla re great!

n

Hi Nikki, have you ever thought of making little fabric dolls, if you are handy with your needle you can make nice bendy little people ...... I make dolls a bit like 'cabbage patch' people but more detailed... you start off with a little skeleton of pipecleaner and wrap it in toy filling... that white fluffy polyester.... then you cover the arms and legs with nylon stocking.... (use the one with lycra - if thats what you call it) the head and body are a tube of stocking with two holes for the arms... you pull it on like a little jumper ... with a ball of stuffing inside the end for the head... after that its all pulled together with stitches and its up to you to form the kind of face you like...I guess you will have more access to 'soft sculpture' instruction books over there than i do here in Britain... but practise makes perfect... The nice thing is that you can made them any colour you like.... (just use different coloured panty hose) the materials are cheap and you can pose them easily. And another advantage is that you can sew the clothes right on to them... which gives a good natural fit.

Just a thought Nikki and gives you an alternative..... you can see how they turn out (with a lot of practise) on my album pictures.

Best wishes with your miniature family... Mariaskid

Here is the link to her dolls. She has made several for me too AND Margaret has been featured in 2 magazines in the UK.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/361684...361757874PZRduC

They really are very posable and even my duaghters LOVE them.

Hi Nikki,

I don't use any molds for my dolls. I sculpt each head individually. A lot of doll makers take several weeks to sculpt a head then make their own molds so they can then produce several dolls just like the first - someday I'll upgrade to doing that, but for now each dolls i completely made by me with no molds at all. I have been sorely tempted on several occasions to use hand and feet molds - feet aren't so hard but I really hate making tiny individual fingers - plus fingers break easily unless they tight against eachother. Hand and foot molds can be gotten pretty cheaply at craft stores like Micheals - in the polymer clay section - I think the molds runs about 7$ (but it's been a while since I priced them) and I believe it comes with the hands, feet and 2 or three different faces all in one push mold. Also if you do find a pushmold you like you can alter the faces very easily by adding a bit here or there, adding laugh lines, or squishing or lifting the nose or pinching the chin or pushing it in a bit etc.

-David

While I was at Pearl Art, I stumbled over an attractive African-American woman doll in a package so yellowed I figured she might not be in production any more. Surprise! The brand (Caco) is still available. These are poseable. The woman I saw looked much better in person than the Horsman mother, but the prices are up there:

http://www.greengablesdollhouse.com/Miniat...aco%20Dolls.htm

Hydrped, I have made several dolls from to push molds you mentioned. I find each attempt comes out differenttly. Also, you can alter the features. I have only used air dried clay so far.

It's fun! And so inexpensive! What if a mold doesn't turn out? either roll it up again re-do it or throw it out! All you've lost is time and a few pennies (well, maybe quarters, LOL) My results are not pretty, but they are mine.

The benefit is the pride of accomplishment, and building on your experience.

Go for it!

There are great tips and tutorials offered on the minidoll list, which has been mentioned before.

Linda McD from NOTL, Ont, Canada