How much sanding?

jerry325

I have started on my foundation. How much sanding do you do? I am just prepping the pieces and have close to 2 hours in them. Now, please note, that I am an amatuer woodworker and like to have the pieces glass like. I havent even been sanding them to that point, but is what I am doing overkill? Please advise! ;)

Thanks,

Kent

like to have the pieces glass like. I havent even been sanding them to that point

I wonder how much wood you'd have left if you sand 1/8" plywood that smooth? if you're not going to stain your wood, give it an even coat of gesso or spackle & sand that smooth, prime it & you should be good to go. When I want to stain, I do that first, sanding lightly between coats until I get the color I want, and then I seal it and when it's bone-dry I go over it with a piece of brown paper grocery sack until it feels like satin.

Well I am not sanding that much. I realize that it is 1/8" plywood and I am not taking much off - doesnt take much to remove the top layer of wood. The wood is still very rough to me, I am probably taking 10 swipes with 240 grit. But I am used to sanding 1X and 2X material with a power sander and using 2 to 3 different grits of paper (and that is after planing if needed) - that is what I meant by glass like. Thanks for the tip with the gesso/spackle thats what I was looking for! I am going to adjust my approach... hehe. ;)

Sorry I am such a newbie Havana!

Kent

Whew! For a moment there I had visions of orbital sanders gone wild. :lol:

The idea of sanding is to smooth splintered, uneven wood areas. Almost none of the wood will end up exposed when your house is complete. So light sanding is in order. As Holly said, staining needs to be done before coating with gesso if you plan to use it.

You'll be fine -- you just need to learn to think "small". ;)

I have started on my foundation. How much sanding do you do? I am just prepping the pieces and have close to 2 hours in them. Now, please note, that I am an amatuer woodworker and like to have the pieces glass like. I havent even been sanding them to that point, but is what I am doing overkill? Please advise! :o

Thanks,

Kent

Wish I could help, usually I have to asked dh "is this smooth enough" :lol: Actually, if I'm not picking up anymore splinters, I feel it is probably good enough. Or if it is making more splinters than I started with, it is time to give up. See I'm still learning too.

Sorry I am such a newbie Havana!

Never apologize, of course you're a newbie, Kent! If I were to try full-sized woodworking I'd be a newbie! Actually, I'm STILL a newbie, there are a LOT of things I either can't or don't know how to do (the things I do know how to do, I do over & over!).

It is possible to oversand this stuff. With my first house, I drove myself insane trying to get the wood smooth and those damn exposed edges! With my new house, I am lightly sanding the openings only and filling them with wood filler and then sanding and giving the face and back a quick sand.

I intend to prime it when I begin assembly. Before, I prime all the peices before assembly and it was really unneccessary which is probably why I don't like my first house.

I ended up with about 18 hours into the Garf's foundation, if I was to do it again I'd quickly sand the edges to remove slivers, then get the thing put together. Finesse the fit as needed, but that's about it, and fill the seams with spackle/drywall mud, then sand. The only exception would be filling the seam where the 2 parts of the first floor come together.

I got a Dremel sander and used it on the Cambridge, but since DH gave me his old sanding block I use it and emery boards and the sanding drum on my Dremel rotary tool for what sanding I do. The power sander is nice for finishing edges, but I use spackle.