That 70s House

Nameless1

Ever since the Arthur adventure, which started with assembling the house on a hotel room counter, being in a hotel gives me the urge to build. Here's my find from Auntie Em's in Glendale: a guest house made by Perkins Mfg Co., copyright 1976. It seems to be 3/4 scale. What you see in the photo is the dry fit, as I want to ship it home flat. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but it was irresistable.

guesthouse.jpg

So what scale furnishings would you use with a 3/4 scale house?  I've never seen one before.

3/4 scale (1:18). B) My major options are Lundby (cute and appropriate, but very pricey), Renwal or similar plastic furniture from the 1950s (also pricey, plus I already sold my collection on eBay and don't want to start over), Strombecker or similar wood furniture from the 1940s (very, very tempting), or Smaller Home, Caroline's Home or Fisher Price Loving Family furniture from the 1970s (cute but not all that tempting to me).

Calico Critters/Sylvanian Family furniture is also 3/4-scale in width (but closer to 1/2-scale in height). Some dollar store furniture is essentially 3/4. Ye olde hubbye is talking about building our own furniture.

Very cute, Wende! (If it had been a Smaller Homes house, I would have been super jealous...)

Dollhouses, Trains, and More is closing out their Lundby stock. I glanced at it last week and it didn't seem like they had a huge selection left, but you might want to take a look at what's there.

-emily

ps I got the trim you sent me... thanks!

No way! Hubby is gonna build? Did you convert him?

He's been surprisingly open-minded about dowels and blocks of balsa ever since he constructed quarter-scale washers and dryers for my laundromat (which hasn't really progressed further than having the machines lined up against the walls). It's houses he backs away from slowly. He did add the intermediate floors to my as-yet-unfinished quarter-scale hotel tower (the one that was supposed to be the Michael's hutches, mutated, and then still doesn't have its interior decor).

It's possible that part of the reason he doesn't build is that I don't seem to want him to build. I come from a family where Dad added onto the real house -- two real houses, come to think of it -- so I tend to grab the glue and wade in.

• 2 months later...

Wende, That little house looks like a perfect mountain or seashore vacation home.The Dolls' House Do-It-Yourself Book by Venus & Martin Dodge used to have all their plans in 1/16" scale (like Renwal, etc), and I believe the new edition offers both 1/12" and 1/16" scales. My copy is the 13th edition & it's still all 1/16.

Holly said:

The Dolls' House Do-It-Yourself Book by Venus & Martin Dodge 

I just bought the new version -- and it is WONDERFUL! Their instructions seem so detailed and clear that even I think that I could build furniture! They also have plans for houses, and how to make all sorts of things.

They also make the most adorable little people from pipe cleaners with a wooden ball for the head. Iwould love to try these also -- alas, painting faces on wooden beads is not my forte ... sigh

I recommend the book.

:)

• 9 months later...