H1N1 Flu

champagne

The injectable vaccine is made with killed virus, the newer aerosols are live, diluted vaccine that is rapidly absorbed through the nasal mucous membrane. Most side effects are due to a possible mild protein allergy, since the virus is grown in eggs and traces of the egg protein remain in the vaccine.

Actually, there was news coverage about the effectiveness of the seasonal flu vaccine about a year ago. They pointed out that in order for the vaccine to be effective, it must be taylored to the flu strain that is going around. The problem is the CDC has to guess which strain will be most common next season so the pharmaceutical companies can begin making it before flu season hits. If the strain the guessed is wrong, then your practically getting a placebo. The record last year was 0 for 12. In twelve years the CDC had guessed wrong and everyone who got the shot either got the flu anyway or dodged a bullet. I checked with my sister, and in the case of my nieces, they got the shot and nearly two months later they got the flu. This season is different because the CDC got a head start. Also, nobody has contracted any other strain of flu this year. You only need one shot, the H1N1 version.

The CDC doesn't really "guess" on which vaccine to have made up for the current year; they base it on the past year's strains and the track record over the span of prior years of how the different strains usually mutate. Some people are more resistant to vaccines and some are less so, and a lot of the efficacy depends on personal factors. As a public health nurse I attended a lot of vaccine teleconferences dealing with vaccine safety, efficacy and manufacturing processes.

I agree with Cathy that the decision to vaccinate yourself or your family is a personal one. IMO the benefits are worth the very minor side effects, but that's based on my own personal experience.

The three kids have all had both here and the grownups have had the regular one. With my COPD and the other asthma problems in our house, it's imperative to everything we can to keep it out of the house. No one here has had any side effects at all !!