Basically introducing myself everywhere

lenats31

Hi everyone, I am from Denmark in Europe, and I got my very first dollhouse - well first BIG dollhouse to build from scratch. I am a little nervous about it, so I am SO glad that I found this forum. Now I have a chance to get help before I make a mistake.

I saw the Garfield on Ebay UK about 1 year ago, and I fell deeply in love with this wonderfull house. A woman listed a 30 year-old Garfield (I think it was that old) dollhouse for her mother. Since the house was assembled and had to be picked up in the UK, there was no chance that I could get that particular Garfield dollhouse. Then I tried to forget about the house, but I soon found myself squirming around Garfield dollhouse listings on Ebay - trying hard to restrain the urge to dig a 4000-5000 kr (Danish crowners/800-1000 usd) hole in our budget :hmm: . Now don´t pass out, that amount of money includes taxes applied to it by Danish Customs and the fee for the paperwork there and shipping International Express. (Priority Mail won´t work for parcels this size going to Denmark).

Now I am here - 1 year later with my dream dollhouse right here with me - imported from the USA - total amount of money paid: 3700 kr, which I got from some overtime at work. I wanted a dollhouse and I knew that this was the one for me the second I saw it for the first time. :insane: :p

I am also working on a 70s Lundby dollhouse - turning it into a Victorian Lundby house with Bespaq and Reutter furniture. Not all 1:12 sized furniture are really 1:12 size. It can be done :p

Lena

Nice to meet you, Lena.

Congratulations at finally receiving your dream house! Here in the Netherlands, Greenleaf houses are pricey too.

I think it does have benefits that you imported your Garfield. You receive a brand new and complete kit. And it's exciting to receive a package that has traveled that far.

I wish you lots of fun building it. Have you decided on the exterior yet? I find it a pity that the siding isn't included for the Garfield. For me it was too expensive to order Greenleaf siding and I had to look for an alternative locally.

I don't know if it still says so in the instruction sheets, but don't use a glue gun! No doubt many people on the forum will tell you, because your house can come apart over time when you use hot glue. Wood glue are generally advised as the glue of choice.

But you can find lots of useful tips and info about building the Garfield at the forums. Many people have built them and you can find lots of inspiring pictures in the gallery too.

It's interesting to read that some 1:12 furniture can be used in a Lundby house. I love the look of Lundby houses. The interior designs are so attractive and playful and I love the shape of the roof.

Now I am here - 1 year later with my dream dollhouse right here with me - imported from the USA - total amount of money paid: 3700 kr, which I got from some overtime at work. I wanted a dollhouse and I knew that this was the one for me the second I saw it for the first time. :p:p

Lena

Hi Lena-

Welcome to the forum...I can assure you, you are going to absolutely LOVE it!! I get so caught up on here that I forget I'm at work sometimes!! And, there's so much expertise...

Now, just how much is 3700 kr???? It sure does sound like an awful lot!!!

Can't wait to see pics of your progress with your Garfield!!

Bre

...Now, just how much is 3700 kr???? It sure does sound like an awful lot!!!...
Lena gave this conversion in her initial post:
(Danish crowners/800-1000 usd)
It is a lot! Sending things from the US to Europe is ridiculou$! But there it is. In addition to the shipping there are all sorts of extra fees & taxes that have to be paid, some of them by the sender and more by the receiver.

Sending things from the US to Europe is ridiculou$! But there it is. In addition to the shipping there are all sorts of extra fees & taxes that have to be paid, some of them by the sender and more by the receiver

So true, I won some items on E-bay and thought I had a bagain but I have just received a note from the Post Office telling me that I have to pay an additional £23:00 customer charges if I want the package - and that's only on minis, not houses. Sometimes packages arrive without charges, it depends on the sender. I have received 2 parcels from Thailand without any charges (sellers undeclared the contents) and then a single chair from US costs me a packet, its so unpredictable.

Trying to type with a keyboard and 2 cats on my knee, one is squidged up under my chin - cat that is not keyboard.