Wallpaper and lights

JPete

Hi Everyone. So after putting tapewire in my primrose and constant lighting issues, I found

soldering the wires to grommets in the tapewire seems to work best. The question is how do you

wallpaper if you do it this way, feed wires through a small hole in wallpaper, solder then glue down wallpaper?

Help. I can't seem to move forward till I get this part figured out.

Thanks, Jody

On one of my houses I did just that! It took some major planning on my part as far as where the lights themselves were going to go, but it worked.

Depending on what material it is (plywood vs mdf) you could also do a few different things. What materials are you using, maybe I could throw a few suggestions at you. I've used tapewire in both these types of material, and don't know which I like better.

The primrose is plywood. It is very hard in places and I've had a heck of a time putting in brads, grommets or even the little outlets seem to be impossible to hammer in. I drilled for the grommets. I may try round wire next time, this is so frustrating. Any suggestions you may have pixiedrea would be great.

I've never used the roundwire, myself, but I know many here favor that over the tapewire system.

I always use my pin vise drill to pre-drill all brads, grommets, etc. Have you done that for yours? Is it that you can't get any hardware into the wood?

In MDF houses, I always use my pin vise to pre-drill grommet holes. Then I wallpaper, then I cut trim the excess wallpaper and insert the grommets. Next I'll use my soldering iron to connect the wires. After connection, I glue the light fixture over the connections.

I've never had a hard time getting a brad or grommet to penetrate the plywood, in fact, I've even used just tweezers to insert them.

Great alternative to using the pin vise, Corwin!

Jo, you may want to try roundwire, just to see if you'd prefer it. Lots of folks like not having issues with the tape connections, or issues with ensuring they have good tape connections. I just prefer the tape myself.

I use large eyelet now. I push them into the wire with my electrification tool. (I'm in love with that thing)It's still available at HBS-mine was given to me. You can also insert them with a bead reemer (available at Walmart or Micheal's) it's a pointy thing for making bead jewellery.

Anyway, what I've been doing, and it works like a charm, making the dots with a plug end in the tape for proper distance, inserting the eylets by forcing them in straight, and wallpapering over them. Them I press on the head of the large eyelets through the wallpaper, and they poke through, occasionally I've had to pick off the little round dot of wallpaper carefully, just around the lip. After that I just wait for the glue to dry and plug in the light with the cord supplied on the fixture. It has worked in both MDF and GL houses. Best of luck with whatever method you choose. I used round wire in the Primrose I did as a gift. The base is just the right height and lenght to hide the power bar.

Thanks guys. I did use a push pin to make the holes after bending two pin vise needles. Must have been a tough

tree. That works much better. Hopefully I can get the lights up and running this weekend and finish. Thanks for the help.