stucco

nuttiwebgal

well I wasnt sure if this is the place to post this...but

if I am putting stucco on a house should I seal it first?

I didnt on the butturcup I did and it came out well.

and as this is the glencroft with all those wood trims...not sure if I should use the modpodge and tissue that I used on my buttercup or should I get regular dollhouse stucco? and do I put the trim on first?

ok as I am writing this I am forming a plan.....but opinions would sooo help.

nutti :unsure:

My solution involved some tediousness, but the results were nice. First of all I used spackling compound/ polyfilla from the tub, it's cheaper than dh stucco or Mod Podge & tissue. Other than sealing the wood (or priming) the only prep work I did was to lay out the timbering on the exterior house pieces & draw around it with a pencil. I then cut many strips of masking tape 1/4" wide (because that was the width of the "timbering" that comes with the kit, cardboard, and of the stripwood I used on the second kit) and laid it on the timbering pattern and over the window & door openings. I have a number of those plastic creditcard-shaped advertising thingummies that are nice spackle spreaders, and I spread the spackle about 1/8" (more or less) thick. I worked in 6"-8" sections and then stop & gently lift the masking tape strips off. Once the spackle was dry I "washed" it with dilute burnt sienna to get that lovely pinkish brown one sometimes sees on old timbered buildings. Then I glued on my "timbers".

My mom used joint compound (spackle) for the exterior of her Westville. It turned out good. She didn't prime the walls first but after she started she wondered if she shouldn't have. It didn't warp at all. You can see how hers turned out at http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/onemom24 in the Westville album. We haven't gotten any further on the houses. Need to get back working on them.

Carol in Missouri

I used regular texture paint from walmart for stucco. It goes on very easily with

a paint brush. I didn't seal the wood first, just ran some sandpaper over the seams a little bit. You can see the results on my Pierce and Tennyson.

terri

I just bought the Americana Stucco from Michaels in light heirloom rose, has anyone used this particular brand?? I tested it on a scrap of basswood, iIwonder if it will do different on the fairfield wood :lol: I "wood"n't think so :D If anyone knows that would be great.

luvmypoodle --

Lisa is the one who told me about the Americana stucco. You could send her an email.

Nutti -- my Walmart has texture paint (made for RW houses) in the paint department as does Home Depot and you can get it in colors. Or just buy white and tint it to whatever color you need at the time.

:lol:

luvmypoodle, nutti, I have used the antique rose, the willow green, the ecru, and the natural color Americana stucco too. I used the Americana natural on my dolls emporium.http://community.webshots.com/user/lisaneault

I have used the blue stucco on a garden shed roombox that i was aging, as a roof decor.

My bay window shop, Bannister's Doll Emporium, is an RGT kit, and I had no trouble on it whatever. Didn't even have to sand it. In the webshots album look in the For Sale at the green roombox bedroom, and I used the same technique of exposed brick. It dries quickly, depending on how thick you spread it. I recommend what they do on the package, it will crack less., though the cracks add to the old and vintage aged look of stucco in my opinion.

I have seen that popcorn texture interior paint in Home Depot, and you can buy it in three different textures.......I have thought of using that for my glencroft in the finer texture, it would be more cost effective than the americana stucco, since it also dries quicker too.

I like using FleckStone (sold at Michaels, Walmart, etc) Unfortunately, it is expensive if you have a large area to do. Also, with spray paints, it is very hard to make after the fact adjustments to work you have sprayed already -- or if you are like me -- and forever bashing the house!

I used Fleckstone Santa Fe Sand on my Glencroft after I had seen a Tudor in my home town covered in a beige/brown sandstone stucco. I am happy to say that the Fleckstone came out quite similar.

The only other problem I have with spray is that I have to do it outside. I can't figure out how NOT to get it all over the place! :p

:p

luvmypoodle, I used popsicle sticks, or skinny sticks. yes, cheapie popsicle sticks bought at the dollar store. This is to get big hunks on, and thin it...I also have nice pricey spatula sculpting tools, or a favorite 'spreader' I bought at Michael's in the artist section...... :p I like the popsicle and skinny sticks because easy peasy cleanup.

Remember icing your chocolate cake? well, no, don't spread it on that thick! :p spread about 1/8th of an inch thick, if you're into measuring, I just dab it on and go. You can see the rose antique on my display show case I use at miniature shows in my webshots album--http;//community.webshots.com/user/lisaneault

The front of it has plexiglass on it now, put on by my husband Chris, it's made to look like a little shop for some of my pieces. But the rose color is a beautiful color when dry.