Stone Turret

WyckedWood

Hi there everyone!

I have converted a wooden turret on my house into a rock covered one using paperclay. What I'm thinking is....wouldnt it make sense that if the outside of the turret is rock , the inside of the tower should be rock too? That is, the interior of the house where the rock is on the outside.

The house Im working on is supposed to look a little run down, very old, like it was once a mansion , but has fallen to disrepair, nothing fancy here as far as the way Im headed with the interior furnishings. In this conext Im thinking rock on the inside may be the way to go , but I'm not sure, would love to hear an opinion by someone else, either to validate my idea , or to tell me it doesnt make sense. THANKS :unsure:

I think that it could go either way. Of course an interior stone wall would look great, but you could also leave it as is because lots of stone buildings have false walls on the inside to cover the stone. So, it could be however you wish! :unsure:

Welcome, diva, I love the idea of a stone turret! Is the rest of the house to be stone, too? I think many stone houses had the inside walls plastered to keep out drafts, especially after window closings came along. Of course, stone gets damp so I'm sure tat the plaster cracked & had to be replaced (or not, if the mansion has really gone to seed...). What a great idea! I love spackling compound for plaster/ stucco, etc, you could do some of the paperclay "stone" in patches where the plaster has fallen away, Lisa does something similar with bricks.

Thanks for the ideas ! I do let the paperclay crack in places and the bricks will seem to crumble like very old brick does. The house is a San Francisco, when finished it will be completely covered in paperclay; brick on the sides and attic, and two stone turrets. I started out thinking I would like to keep the siding on the house looking like aged barn wood, but then decided to go with all brick and stone. Everything is covered in antiquing medium. Its turning out so cool. Im thinking if I use stone on the inside of the one main turret, maybe I'll go ahead and brick the inside of the kitchen. Its tedious, but when its all done , you get your reward :unsure:

Thanks !

[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/dollhousediva]

Welcome to the forum and ty for the eye candy.

loved the Rose cottage revamp.

I have discovered I am clay challenged but before I give up I will attempt to cover a house with paperclay for Halloween. :unsure:

as for the your question....paperclay it.....it will look great.

nutti B)

I love the idea of exposed stone with crumbling plaster....there are many easy ways to do this, and make it look antiqued....you can try using americana stucco, spread smoothly, or just plain sheetrock joint compound. Sculpt your stones first, let them dry, and age them in the areas you want exposed stone. The joint compound takes 24-48 hours to 'set up' and dry completely, depending on what type of climate you are in --the more humid the climate, like down south, the faster it dries.