Air Dry clay

heidiiiii

Chelsea wants to start sculpting and i figured I could get into the act but in mini form.

She says she wants air drying clay (dont have a kiln, obviously and cant afford to indulge her right now).

What do some of you use for air dry clay that would make good sculptures, great and small?

I LOVE the Crayola clay. You can make food (Bread especially)!! Sheesh there are so many uses for this stuff too. I have seen paople use it on the walls of there houses to simulate stucco. It turned out well too!

Heidi,

I'm not a big fan of sculpting with airdry clay - I've seen some great sculpting done with it I just don't have any feel for it myself but another option would be polymer clay - no kiln required it cooks in your home oven or even in a toaster oven if the pieces are small enough - and the nice thing about it is you don't have to worry about it drying out while you're working on a piece - you can set it aside for a week or a month and come back and start working again.

When I do use an airdry clay I use paperclay - works really well for miniatures in doing brick work and rocks and also architectural embellishments and for sculping - like I said I'm not very good at sculpting with it myself but i've seen some Amazing things sculpted with it!!

-David

I do agree with David here about using creative paper clay. For kids, you can use a cheaper version by ALEX which is a paperclay too and cost about half of what creative paperclay does. Rachel LOVES it (My oldest daughter) it does shrink more than paper clay though so there is more cracking than with creative paperclay but it can be fix once the clay dries.

:lol:

do let us know what she decides and don't forget to show of her master pieces.

my 11 year old did some sculpting with polymer just before xmas, she made some little men for her scene for the young miniaturists competition at miniatura this past march, which incidentally she won !!! proud mom ! here

I will post some pictures of the scene for you all later. she won lots of prizes for mommy !! no seriously, she won a sid cooke shop. some clay tools, a book on making polymer food, two subs to mags and some horrible history books, ohh and she will also be on the front cover of one of our UK dollshouse mags (The Dollshouse Magazine) in October

she is turning her shop into a pet shop and i have been helping her make pet food packets (hundreds of them)

Sally, that sounds like my daughter Amanda. She has made a wedding gown on a mannequin in a workshop, and made her own items for her own dollhouses. She has also used polymer clay for her science projects in school, when she made a plant cell using a picture from a book.

I love model magic for things like bread and cake--I could make those all day!LOL! Creative paperclay is a little more trickier to make cakes with, I used paperclay to make a wedding cake(scale was a little larger) with yellow flowers and leaves. It was a heck of a time getting the petals and leaves thin enough.

Another one you might want to try is Heart clay, this has a porcelain quality and is great for flowers.

I never saw this site Havana, thanks for posting. It is very interesting. I predicted my dishes are going to stay dirty for a little while longer.

• 3 weeks later...

We are still in sculpy teeth mode right now...

We are making molars and making them into dangling earrings. The things teens will wear today! :lol:

A bunch of her friends have *orders* in for them. I am thinking we could make a few and stick out in ebay and see what happens.

I have been working on making finger bones for the earrings too. What you do for love.

She is going to be taking a sculpting class in school next year.

This is her senior year line up:

English: Uconn cooperative (gets college credits)

AP Art Portfolio

Sculpting 1 & 2

Painting 1 & 2

Photography 1 & 2

ummm I cant remember the other two but they are art classes. She only needs english to graduate! LOL

But she has to fill up the rest of the day, so they are going to be all art classes.