Shopping Ebay for Dollhouse Kits

jennywren

Have you tried Craigslist for doll houses? I found a Cambridge for $79 and it's perfect. It was already built, but in my area, they have TONS of kits for sale and since it's a local thing, you can always check the kits before you pay. Just FYI though--PayPal will straighten this out for you if you went through them to pay for your transaction. It sucks that it happened though, but hopefully you will soon be united with an intact Canterbury kit. The best of luck!

It's never fun when things happen like that. So far, fortunately my experiences haven't been that bad. I have gotten some kits that you have to wonder what kind of people had them, but no missing pieces at least not recently. My first kit from ebay was missing an entire sheet of parts and had 2 of another, that to me is a manufacturing error, not a seller's fault. And fortunately, someone here was able to help me out of that problem. Another kit was improperly stored, but that was disclosed by seller and I gambled on that one and got an excellent deal. And the other has been started by someone else who it appears almost literally dumped stain on the sheets and didn't wipe off. I'm hoping I can salvage it with good sanding. It's a discontinued kit, otherwise I might not bother.

Do be careful who you buy from. I always check feedback. AND I always pay thru paypal so I have SOME protection.

Hope you can get your money back AND find another kit. The canterbury is a really pretty house.

Terri

i am so sorry that happened to you, especially when it was a kit you wanted so badly. i had a similar experience last year. i bought a dh kit on ebay i thought i was a steal, i even rubbed my hands together when the box arrived, now here is the dumb part, i opened the box but i did not thoroughly check the sheets or pieces, i just assumed everything was just fine, all i cared was that it was in my home. of course a few months later i learned the truth when i finally decided to get down to business and build it. most sheets were there, but there were several important ones missing. some of the sheets that were present, the wood was so bad and unusable. basically i paid for a box of wood scraps. to add to my misery, i had left positive feedback for the seller. it was a lesson learned. i will still continue to buy from ebay, especially for discontinued kits, for the most part i have had positive experiences. friends...please check those boxes immediately and thoroughly!!!

UPDATE! Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments. I just wanted to let everyone know how things have been going. I did contact the seller and I got a response stating that they were very sorry and that they did only glance at the box and didn't realize how much was actually missing. I am working out the details for return/refund now and I will let you all know how the saga ends.

Thank you to all of you that offered up your Canterbury kits. I did make contact with somebody about possibly getting one. So, just wanted to say thanks. This really is the nicest group of people.

Yea! GL forum comes through again!

I'm also happy to hear that the seller is not raising a fuss~! It is so nice to hear that it was in fact a mistake and not someone trying to pull something on you.

Congrats on knowing that you get to start your dream home for real this time (as soon as you get it!)

S

I do beleive that for the most part, Ebay sellers are good people. My Orchid was supposed to be new in the box too, but had been opened and painted at and a few parts were glued wrong and a couple missing. The seller did not know the box had been opened, as it had been reglued so nicely and perfectly it wasn't detectable, and she was selling it for someone else. I got a partial refund for that one, and was able to build the kit. My only real horror, was the BH that didn't come, and it took a long time to get a refund.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that all works out for you. I hope you get the kit you want. GL, and this forum rocks!