Reinforcing

sammything

Hola! Finally making progress on the Cottage. We have all major pices prepped, and the dry fit has been done. I'm wondering- for those of you that reinforce the main pieces, how do you do it? Do you use stapels, or brads? How do you keep the wood from splitting? What if you miss? Do you glue first?

Thanks,

Lori

Hola! Finally making progress on the Cottage. We have all major pices prepped, and the dry fit has been done. I'm wondering- for those of you that reinforce the main pieces, how do you do it? Do you use stapels, or brads? How do you keep the wood from splitting? What if you miss? Do you glue first?

Buenas tardes,

I glue first, then go back with my heavy-duty Stanley stapler & 1/4" staples. If the glue is still wet a) the wood is less likely to split and :) if it splits there's wet glue to seal it back up again.

If I "miss" I gently pry the bad staple out & throw it away & restaple.

You didn't ask, but if the staple won't go all the way in, or stay all the way in, I "gently" coax it in with my hammer (pound the bejeezis out of it up to but not quite destroying the structure PRN) and then tape it down and MAKE it stay!

Yo espero te ayudar.

Hi, for my Heritage i cut up pieces of wood that i had left over from another project and glue them to the underside of the house...they look like support beams under the house. It has definately added stability. I don't know if that will help you or not?! Marg

I nere thought of gluing felt to the underside. That may be a good solution. Right now on the table I have the Garfield on I have an old stained table cloth covered in plain newsprint paper. Having the table cloth under it all has helped a lot when i need to turn the house. I inagine felt would be a good final solution to a finished house. I may go stock up on grey felt.

Melissa

I nere thought of gluing felt to the underside. That may be a good solution. Right now on the table I have the Garfield on I have an old stained table cloth covered in plain newsprint paper. Having the table cloth under it all has helped a lot when i need to turn the house. I inagine felt would be a good final solution to a finished house. I may go stock up on grey felt.

Melissa

Are you working on the Garfield now? Because if you are and the turning issue is a problem. I have taped layers of waxed paper to the diningroom table. Makes it much easier to turn and spills and stuff like that. And when i paint, the items dont stick to the waxed paper.

Yeah, I dont have to money right now to get a turntable for when i am finished and I am not handy enough to make one. So I thought glueing felt to the bottom surface would give it a nice soft and slippery surface to turn for when I want to play! ROFL