My Brookwood is Here!!

KarinL

I'm so thrilled!!! My Brookwood that I won on eBay has arrived. Faster than I (or the seller) had anticipated, so I wasn't even at the 'starting to worry about it getting lost' stage in waiting. :unsure: B)

Now comes the hard part: resisting opening and building it before our move... Our new house will be finished next month, it will take us a month or so to decorate and everything... <sigh>

How cool!! You did get it pretty fast!! I can't wait to see the pictures myself! I bet it's gonna be wonderful! I have 1 stored away with no date of building. I want to expand it some because people keep telling me the rooms are not as big as they would like. They say it's not as small as the Real good toys house but still, I want to bash this one. :unsure:

Can't wait to see what yours. Have a fun & safe Move!

Oh, A Brookwood!

How can you control yourself and keep it in the box, KarinL. Not being able to build it for at least two months? Wow!

It's a great looking house.

Tracy -- you are right the rooms should be larger. Kit -bashing -- what we all live for :unsure:

B)

I applaud your efforts in resisting opening the box, but might I suggest using my own method for resistance?

Prop the box up on the table and try not to look at it when you walk by. :D

After a hour or so, abandon trying to ignore it and sit and look at the box for a while. B)

Eventually decide that you should at least open it just to take inventory. I mean, what would be the point of waiting a month to open it only to find a piece is missing and then have to wait some more for the piece to come in? B)

Might as well skim through the instructions while you have them out - wouldn't it be better to be prepared? :o

Hmmmm. You could pop just a few pieces out to sand them just a little - just to get a feel for the kit. :unsure:

Oh, shoot! These pieces will never all fit back in the box now and you can't just leave them out. Better go ahead and glue them together! :D

Karin,

I am SOOO glad that you finally got your hands on a Brookwood. I know you have been wanting one for a long, long time.

I understand about delays with a move.

My Brookwood is sitting 3/4 complete in my dad's garage here in Houston. Unfortunately, because it is at a stage of kitbashing where I need my dad's help to complete it, it is now too hot to work on it. And if that's not bad enough, my husband has been transferred to Denver and I'm going to either have to leave the house unfinished here in Houston for my dad to finish when it gets cooler OR move it unfinished and find someone there to finish it for me.

Although I consider myself pretty handy with most construction related to dollhouses, this house was kitbashed to have a bumped out turret/bay window to replace the original palladian window that came with the house. The turret has to be finished because that is where the circular staircase from the first floor to the second floor is going to go.

Enough about my troubles, have fun thinking about your new house and all the fun its going to be.

Kathy in TX

soon to be CO

Kathy.

Good to here from you again! I, too am waiting to see the circular staircase in place. You are making a very creative Brookwood :lol:

Someday I will build one. I was hoping that Greenleaf would make them again. I suppose I should look at ebay.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations!! It's always like that on ebay. I bought 2 of these for under $30 each. Then one week later I saw two on ebay again and one sold for $89 and the other sold for $119.

It's all about timing. Is this the next house youwill be building??

Wow, Kathy, that sounds fabulous! Can't wait to see pictures! I really like the idea of the circular staircase in the tower!!!

I'm not sure about mine, for now I'm thinking of adding a room to the ground floor and maybe have some kind of wrap-around porch on the second floor. A bit like that 'beachhouse' conversion in the 'Dollhouses to Dreamhouses' book... That picture sort of sticks in my mind when I look at the kit now...

The good thing (the *only* good thing!!) about keeping it in the box is that you get more time to dream before you reach the point of no return where everything is glued on so tight that you can't change your mind any more. :o

Karin

Isn't it cool? I finally convinced my parents that we must build their Brookwood this fall. It was the tiny hot tub that convinced them. That, and the photo on the box from 1987 looks weirdly like their own suburban McMansion from the same era. Yes, it will be stucco'd and painted with their left-over house paint.

I love the Brookwood, but I'm not going to build one unless Greenleaf rereleases it (hint, hint!). I worry about the age of the wood.

There aren't enough modern houses out there!

So I got my brookwood kit and opened it only to find someone had already punched out the pieces. Looks like I'm missing all the chimney pieces, the stairs, and the front wall. I doubt I'll be able to find just those for sale :D

Looks like I'm missing all the chimney pieces, the stairs, and the front wall.

So can you trace them out and have them cut? Do you know anyone handy with the scroll saw? Did the person say it was a new kit? Also, did you pay via paypal? If you did can't you get your money back from them for misrepresentation? :D

I am so sorry your parts are missing!

So can you trace them out and have them cut? Do you know anyone handy with the scroll saw? Did the person say it was a new kit? Also, did you pay via paypal? If you did can't you get your money back from them for misrepresentation? :D

I am so sorry your parts are missing!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well one of the sheets is missing and the others are from sheets that I still have. So I'm guessing I could scan in the drawing sheet and resize it, trace out the parts and cut em. But that would require me going back home and the other unfinished kit (the Glencroft) is there and I might get distracted with that one! lol I emailed the seller and I'm waiting on a response, the description of it says "Opened in box never assembled, instructions included comes with starter furniture, Dollhouse and furniture all wood"

Shipping on the thing was $20 and it was only $49 but yeah I could probably get a refund from paypal. But wouldn't I then have to spend $20 more to ship it back? Eh I could always sell it as a kit to kit bash.

Ok went through all the pieces and it looks like 11/15 sheets of wood are punched out and or missing :D I have none of the walls, roof, or chimney. So much for brand new never assembled! I'm tempted to return it to the seller and make them pay shipping. But I'll do that after I scan in the drawings so I can make my own LOL.

Yeah, that's a "seller was mistaken" situation, and it needs to go back at their expense. One missing sheet could be caused by anything, but 11? :D

These do come up on eBay pretty often, so there'll be another along any minute.

I also noticed that the pictures in your auction were the same as the pictures in another auction that ran at the same time, and that house was shrinkwrapped. Granted, the seller in yours didn't claim it was shrinkwrapped, but it was misleading.

Contact the seller and explain the problem to her. I recently had a similar situation with a Realife kit I bought through ebay. The seller said she thought it was all there, but in reality many pieces had been punched out and were missing, and there were no instructions so I couldn't even tell what was there and what wasn't! I contacted her and she was very reasonable. She said she didn't want the kit back and is refunding my money anyway. Maybe you can work something like that out, since so much is missing. I don't see how someone could look at a box of punched-out pieces and think it's complete, even if they're NOT a miniaturist!

I haven't left feedback yet, and won't until I receive my refund, but at that time I'll leave positive feedback since the seller has been so understanding and reasonable about it.