Stone Floor for a Tudor Diningroom??

AllThingsMini

How realistic would it be for a Tudor diningroom (no matter what period) to have a stone floor? I have wood flooring in the livingroom and I want to use stone flooring for the kitchen, but I wonder if it would look alright for the diningroom to have a stone floor??? :blink: I'm not sure I want to use wood flooring because I don't want the wood furniture I'm going to make to get "lost".

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas?

Marie, It's your house, girl, go for it!

One of our houses was built in 1906 & the diningroom floor was wood (all the downstairs wooden floors were laid in concentric squares, gorgeous), but the center was unfinished (read, use Bug Juice here) because the style was to put your Oriental or William Morris rug beneath the diningroom table. Also, I noticed when we cleaned 70+ years of heating with coal from the floors they were a lovely light golden oak color, which would be a terrific contrast to all the heavy, ornate furniture which was usually a dark stain (my grandparents' was)

I agree - if that's what you want to do, you should do it. :blink:

If it's a modern house, it could have been authentic Tudor originally and then the owners redid the floor...

Well, most likely the original Tudor building would have had a floor of beaten earth, maybe with a few tiles in strategic places (near the door and near the fireplace). Tiles were expensive back then...

I'm sure that inhabitants of a later period would have put in a decent floor at one point or another, and that could be either wood or stone, whatever you prefer...

Hello!

I have a stone (black and white) floor in my real dining room... so it would look realistic to use stone! :-) In my dollhouse (well...it's a display cabinet to be honest ;-) ) I have a carpeted floor (it's an own designed print-out ) in the dining room and an oriental carpet under the dining table.

For a tudor house I would use stone too! It's typical for that period I guess..... :blink:

If you want to use stone, the Brits were and still are, fond of something called Portland stone (I found reference to it in some of my books) which was a light-colored sandstone in my books.

:blink: