Book binding

glen

Help please. I've made this music book for baby’s music box but can't work out how to bind it so the pages turn really freely. Originally spiraled copper but that was too hard to get perfect and now have used cotton but still aren't happy with it.

It's got 5 card pages with .8mm holes for binding and is a scale version of a music book given to baby by Grandma. (opened to the owl and the pussycat at the moment, chortle)

I know some of you make books so how do you bind them??

Cheers

Glen

Different books are bound different ways. I make miniature medieval books, they are posted on my website.

http://www.kingwilliamminiatures.us

I researched my miniature books with the art of bookbinding, and have upgraded the methods I used. Much time and effort at the library and studying old manuscripts and books helped. You didn't mention whether this replica the original was a ringbound book, or a spiral bound book--like most music books. If it was ring bound, you were on the right track with wire, but copper is probably too coarse. I would try beading wire in the color that your original was bound in--most any craft store carries beading wire.

Thanks

The original book is spiral bound. My problem is I want the book attached to the piano so it doesn't get lost by the back cover, which means the pages have to flip over and "stay" flat easily. Cotton has done that but not to my liking.

When I showed baby believe it or not she said “beautiful” and then straight away pointed to the original sitting on the real piano. How cool was that??

Glen

Thanks

The original book is spiral bound. My problem is I want the book attached to the piano so it doesn't get lost by the back cover, which means the pages have to flip over and "stay" flat easily. Cotton has done that but not to my liking.

When I showed baby believe it or not she said "beautiful" and then straight away pointed to the original sitting on the real piano. How cool was that??

Glen

I'm sorry, I'm probably going to show my stupidity, but what exactly do you mean by cotton? cotton balls, cotton swabs? Can you put just a tad of miniwax on the cover and attach to piano and it stay flat so the pages can be turned? I agree with baby it looks good.

BTW, it was very cool.

Peggi

Thanks

When I showed baby believe it or not she said "beautiful" and then straight away pointed to the original sitting on the real piano. How cool was that??

That's just way-cool Glen. :D And she's right. It is beautiful.

Deb

Sorry, I'm not explaining properly. :D

Here's a picture of the real binding and my cotton one. You can see how scraggy it looks. I've used canvas cotton. Maybe it would look better with light cotton and I'm going to make a new front cover when I sort it out.

You can see it needs to be able to fall flat when the book is opened so I can’t use conventional binding.

Now I suppose I’ll get done for copyright. :D

Cheers

Glen

yes, cotton is far too coarse here. I would go to Michael's, Ben Franklin, and look in the beading wire--they sell it very fine and even in the color blue. It will look almost like the original. Look for the finest wire you can find, not too thin and it should do the trick.

One thing you must remember to lay it flat is when threading it through, leave enough room in each ring for the pages to turn without being impeded by the wire. Also, Peggy's idea of mini hold is a good one, that way you will still be able to move the book.

Also try in the wedding section of Walmart or any store that carries little wedding favors. I think I saw some small little silver rings today that you might could use. Or look at baby shower favors or small key rings with tiny rings attached. Or a small plastic book bind comb--you know the kind that one end curls and you can open it up to add pages.

Thanks for the explanation I see now that you meant cotton cord. My stupid LOL

Peggi