Where to start!

mellie

:D

I purchased a Bellingham Farmhouse at an estate sale. I would like to wire it (as if I have a clue). It just needs repair on railing, a few shingles, paint, some of the windows need new "glass", and it needs a new front door. Other than that, the house is in great shape. I have NEVER even had a dollhouse and don't know what I should do first. After than I can get on with the decorating!!! Thanks :)

Start by carefully removing everything that needs repair or replacement. There is a great tutorial on wiring somewhere on this site, read it.

Remember that there are as many different ways to do this as dollhouse builders. There isn't any wrong way. If you want a show piece or only plan to build one house the best advice is to take your time and think before you do.

On a rehab I generally do the wiring first. Since the house is assembled you might have to cut some slits to pass the wire or tape through. Do your trial wiring plan with painter tape first, as it might take longer than you expect to get it perfect. Wait until you are happy with the entire wiring arrangement before cutting any pass through holes. Do it in places that will be covered with trim (or a fireplace or wallpaper). I am somewhat obsessed with scale so avoid tape or wire in the corners as I think any extra bulk really shows there.

I do the sanding, cleaning, calking, repainting (outside) or priming (inside) when all the trim I plan to replace or repair is off the main body of the house. I work from the top down so I do not have to touch up much splatter. I turn the house over to do the ceilings as it is easier on the wrists and eyes.

This is the terrific tutorial done by Darrell - good luck with this! (I have it on my "Favourites" - but have yet to gather enough courage to actually tackle wiring a dollhouse. I even have a lighting kit ready to go!) :)

http://community.webshots.com/album/139274832GytFHn

And here's a thread all about electrifying your dollhouse.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...ic=939&st=0

If you want a show piece or only plan to build one house the best advice is to take your time and think before you do.
Or if you want more than one, and you want each one to be the best that it can be. There is no reason you can't turn out beautiful houses, but you do have to take your time and be patient. This is a hobby and supposed to be fun, and there are no time limits or deadlines.

yes, there are time limits....I am not a young-un.....I want to get it right the first time so I have time to enjoy...then my grandchild can enjoy after I am gone. Spent all day getting furniture for grand to Play....and then I will have my furniture ....which will take longer. When the grand doesn't care to play ...which might be 10 years...I guess...I hope..I will be in my 70's and then I will be able to really get into it. I plan until then to do the basics, wire it....and unplug ('fraid she will not understand "gentle"). Plan on having MY stuff and HER stuff....her's won't have to be scale....thanks to someone on this forum, I went to Dollar Tree and got her one room. The other room "came" with the buy. Neither are in scale, but will work great for her. I just want to build this house right ...to scale....and beautiful like all of you guys houses...don't mind waiting a little. Righ now I went to get the railings to fix the parts that were broken...dumb me bought the right top and bottom rails...figured that out... but bought flat slats for the up and down part of the rails on the outside....when I got home...much to my dismay....up and downs were round...I never noticed... What a dummy!!! am I. Thank you for all the help so far. Our Library has NO helpful info. Spent most of the day reading 4 books form the library...Not anything worhtwhile. Your info was very helpful! Thanks.