Andrew, tell me about your camera again

SuzyQ

Hey Andrew,

Was that you that I mentioned had the camera that took such nice pictures?

You told me what kind it was, I forgot. ;) Is it digital? By the way how far have you come on your Garfield? I am still painting trim ;)

SuzyQ

The camera's a Canon Powershot A-75, it's 3.2 megapixels. I'd get a digital camera from any reputable film camera maker. Megapixel count is like the film, finer grain films have finer quality pictures, which is mostly irrelevant unless you really blow the picture up. While you can obviously change film you can't change the chip in a digital camera. What I was told when getting a digital camera, from someone who knows, 3 megapixel minimum, optical zoom (digital zoom is completely useless), and get a brand known for cameras. Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc. If a brand aint known for making regular cameras don't go for their digital cameras.

Still on the foundation of the Garf, been working the past few nights. Hoping to get the first floor set this week. Then doing the filling and smoothing. Nowhere near doing the trim yet. Hope yours is going well.

Thanks Doogster!!  Apprecitate the help.  Still painting trim. ;)

SuzyQ

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now, you see, that's where my approach with the airbrush is going to be so helpful. I'll be able to blast through the trim in no time. May take three coats, but at seconds a coat and a few minutes drying time, who cares? Single action external mix spray blaster, medium tip, gonna work fine. I've relegated the Badger 350 to house paint duty since getting the Paasche. As for stain, gonna use the 350 knockoff Harbor Freight sells, have one for each stain colour (acrylic stain, I like my lungs the way they are-didn't quit smoking 2 years ago to inhale vaporized thinner-be better off smoking). You could make your own medallions with stain and templates that way. BTW H-F has these guys on sale for 5 bones apiece right now, got 1 already, think I'll pick up another 4 or 5 at that price. They aint the greatest but are fine for gross coverage.

Andrew you crack me up.  You are so technical with stuff!!  :rolleyes:  :blink:  :D Have fun with your spray gun.  I'd probably paint more that my trim. Probably everything else laying around.

SuzyQ

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not gonna happen. Don't think of a spray can, think of a spray can that you can neck down to produce a pattern something like 1/8" wide. Not a lot of overspray. I use a plastic tote as a spray booth. The ONLY reason I can see not to use a spraybrush is if you like the look of a hand brush painted finish, Marg does. That's cool.

I can think of another reason NOT to use an air brush. You have to take it apart and clean it and then put it back togeter, OR You and go to the sink and rinse out a brush and go on to the next thing, and you don't have to deal with the noise of the compressor. I only use my airbrush when I have to.

terri

My Silentaire Scorpion makes no significant noise, and the cleaning of an external mix single action airbrush is no harder or time consuming than the PROPER cleaning of any type of regular brush. Like I said, if you like the look of hand painting that's cool. Different strokes for different folks right?

Remember I'm not advocating everyone go out and buy an Iwata double action internal mix brush. I SPECIFICALLY refer to the single action external mix brushes. The Badger 350, the Paasche H, or even the Harbor Freight 350 knockoff. These are a joke to clean (no you don't need to take them apart every time you spray), the needles are pretty well indestructible, unless you try real hard to bend them, I usually do a tear down at the end of a project, before storage to clean the threads and such. Otherwise cleanup is easy and takes no time at all.

Andrew you are still cracking me up with all your detailed talk. How much education do you have. It sounds alot more than my high school and beauty school ed.

SuzyQ

How much education do you have. It sounds alot more than my high school and beauty school ed.

Andrew's an RN/ registered nurse, so he has at minimum a bachelor's degree; unless he did it the hard way, like I did, deciding to go to nursing school after college (at least not 30 years after college, I don't recommend that for anyone).

Andrew's an RN/ registered nurse, so he has at minimum a bachelor's degree; unless he did it the hard way, like I did, deciding to go to nursing school after college (at least not 30 years after college, I don't recommend that for anyone).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh it's worse than that, Andrew's an NP in Canada. Not sure if I'm going to get my credentials here in the US. After all that and meeting a lot of NP's I do feel it's nurses playing doctor. In addition I have a degree in biology, and studied a lot of pharmacology. Most NP's don't. I've met NP's that don't know the difference between Ventolin and Atrovent, that scares the hell out of me. They're incredibly common drugs.

I do feel it's nurses playing doctor

Not really, the nurse's approach is so different. Our doctor is a crusty old poop who is a crack diagnostician, but the NP figured out that DH's BP had been steadily rising over the preceding decade despite diet & exercise and asked the doc about putting DH on BP meds. The doctor wasn't going to worry about meds until the BP numbers had gone 'way over the limit. It was the first time I heard what his numbers were, or I would have started suggesting meds as soon as his diastolic hit 100!

ok ok now I do feel like a dumb dumb all these letters you are using. I do know what NP is thats about it. LOL :blink:

Glad you all are our there to help the "old crusty poops" :rolleyes:

SuzyQ