Beacon Hill Porch Posts

Hello all,

I glued my porch posts together the other day, and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. For starters, they say that the base trim on the bottom should have narrow pieces for the side and wide pieces for the front, but mine were the same size all around, so you can see the "seam" on the front side of the posts. Second, since we are supposed to glue several pieces together, one on top of the other (to make a thick post), I have big lines along the sides of my posts. When I look at BH pics, the posts look smooth along the sides. Is there something special I'm supposed to do to smooth out the lines? I'm afraid that when I go to paint my posts, the paint will just show lines along those crevasses.

Stacey

Hello all,

I glued my porch posts together the other day, and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. For starters, they say that the base trim on the bottom should have narrow pieces for the side and wide pieces for the front, but mine were the same size all around, so you can see the "seam" on the front side of the posts. Second, since we are supposed to glue several pieces together, one on top of the other (to make a thick post), I have big lines along the sides of my posts. When I look at BH pics, the posts look smooth along the sides. Is there something special I'm supposed to do to smooth out the lines? I'm afraid that when I go to paint my posts, the paint will just show lines along those crevasses.

Stacey

Hi Stacey, check out Gina's (butterflyex) BH build blog for handy tips... I found that issue, no difference between narrow and wide, and Gina says she found the same. I used much spackling (thanks, havannaholly!) to mitigate the seam.

As for the lines, I sanded that area quite well, then used a couple layers of spackle and paint, and it turned out fine. Can hardly tell one side from the other. If I had not spackled, then yes, one could probably see the layer lines...

Edit: sorry, misspelled your name! Need more coffee...

You can always apply some wood filler or spackle along the edges where there are seams and then sand it smooth and that will cover any imperfections.

Edit: rbytsdy, we must have been thinking the same thing at the same time. Good luck, Stacey.

I did not find any difference in the size either, and also filled the seam. I used "No More Nails" glue, it fills as it dries and is sandable/ paintable. The BH is a house that's worth the effort! I love mine.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...