Bayberry Cottage

The instructions indicate adding the roof can be difficult. I have the pieces all glued together and plan on doing the roof tomorrow. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has dealt with this and the problems they may have encountered. The instructions state "because of the weight of the roof, it may want to sag at the back."; this is a concern.

Jerry

:p
"because of the weight of the roof, it may want to sag at the back."
Aha! Now I know why my "back porch" sags! If you have a nice piece of 1/4" square stock you might want to cut a piece of it long enough to support the roof back. I haven't built the Bayberry, but I know when I built my Dura-Craft Cambridge I nailed that top floor with the mansard to the top of the walls because the instructions warned me it might be unstable (of course, after building two Dura-Craft kits, I'm also somewhat unstable!).

Wow, Holly. I am sorry to hear your porch sags........perhaps yoga. :p
Mini thanks, we just got home from the Georgia Tandem Rally yesterday and we did rodes Friday, Saturday & Sunday for a total 100 miles over the three days, so my "porch" is a tad less saggy today!lol Of course, we did all the short ride options :p ; otherwise we'd have ridden closer to 200 miles!

It has been awhile since I built my Bayberry, but don't really remember too many difficulties with the roof. I do somewhat remember it is hard to keep the porch up high enough, but that is about it. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my Bayberry, however if you balance the attic floor and masking tape the roof you should get some temporary bondage. After several trys and the roof collapsing on me I did get it to balance and dry overnite with masking tape. I also added the other smaller roofs first. It worked for me even though it doesn't follow the kit instructions. hope your roof balances.[q

uote name='texasbuilder' date='May 19 2008, 07:33 PM' post='250893']

The instructions indicate adding the roof can be difficult. I have the pieces all glued together and plan on doing the roof tomorrow. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has dealt with this and the problems they may have encountered. The instructions state "because of the weight of the roof, it may want to sag at the back."; this is a concern.

Jerry

I recently finished mine, and had several problems with the roof. First, it was tilted down lower in the front. I found out it was because I put the upstairs dividing wall (which is necessary for supporting attic floor) in wrong. I thought it was an equal square, but it is a tad bit wider than higher. After I fixed that, it was fine. Then, even though my walls are all plumb, I still had gaps. I just covered them with shingles. Also, remember, the porch roof slants, so don't glue them laying flat. Tape the pieces together, and fit it before gluing.