My First House & Emma's First House

Marcia

post-39-1137516144_thumb.jpgI started my first dollhouse in 1991 from scratch, using a book called Building Miniature Houses and Furniture by Dorie Krusz. I thought it would be an inexpensive hobby. :mellow: I worked on it for years …. scratch building brick fireplaces, windows, doors, ceiling beams with hidden lights, stairway, etc. During this time I also started building furniture from scratch and from kits.

In the Summer of 2001 my grandaughter, Emma, was coming to the US from Europe for a visit. She was 3 ½ at the time and needed a dollhouse to play with. I found an Ashley by Dura-Craft at a flea market for $5.00 and built my first kit. I built a kitchen for her using child-proof yarn as drawer and cupboard pulls and furniture for the house. Emma loved it! It was the beginning of a mutual hobby that we will share for a lifetime. It was also her introduction to bigger and better things … as demonstrated when she ask me to build her the large Marquam Hill Mansion a couple of years later.

Needless to say, I was hooked on kits! Parts from my unfinished scratch-built house were used on other projects. No digital pictures were taken of it, although I do have a photo album I kept.

Marcia in Fremont, OH

http://www.picturetrail.com/miniatureoma

a book called Building Miniature Houses and Furniture by Dorie Krusz.

I use her book for inspiration, especially as I anticipate one day trying another house "from scratch". I like some of her furniture ideas. That's one of a number of OOP books on making minis I wish someone would get publishing rights to (anyone else collecting the old Chilton publications?). I also wish someone else would make the Reallife kits again.