Screen doors

Deb

I've used the plastic mesh from a bag of Mini Bel cheeses for screen inserts for a small kitchen cupboard in my Cambridge. I'm sort of partial to nylon tulle for window, door or porch screening, it looks more like the nylon/ plastic screening one sees nowadays & comes in colors that would work for mini screening. Plus a yard of it could probably be enough to screen an entire 1:12 scale house!

The screen door we made for the haunted house has pantyhose for the screen. I stretched it over something covered in wax papaer. I then glued ha;f of the frame to the pantyhose. When it was dry, I trimed the piece and added the other half of the screen.

Melissa

I thought I remembered y'all used pantyhose for screening, how did you keep it from running? That has always been me biggest problem, I used to make "Stumkin" dolls from old hose until the runs ran me crazy.

I stuck a piece of styrofoam into the panty hose and used pins to stretch it. It did not run. after the frame dried i just cut it with scissors the glue around the frame would keep it from running i think. If I was going to join 2 pieces of pantyhose together in a seam I think I would glue it together as I think trying to sew it would cause runs.

Melissa

Thank you ladies! That was the information I needed. I wonder if a little starch on the panty hose would stop it from running? I'll give it a try and see what happens. The tulle is a great idea and got me to thinking about a house with a screened in porch. There's a southern dwelling in that idea somewhere!

Thanks again! Ya'll are just the best!

Deb

As far as stopping running masks in stockings (you know when wearing them and discoveing there is s light run..) I have put a small dab of clear nail varnish just above where it started and it keeps it under control so perhaps that might work in this case as well?

Hugs

That thought had occurred to me, but then I remembered the time or two I tried it, it stops the run but also stops the stretch there & I wound up with more runs/ rags when I tried to recycle the stocking (I had a dear friend who crocheted them into scrubbies).