Picture

LPCullen

It looks like a magazine cover to me, except it's "section 7" instead of an issue/ volume #, but dated Dec 7, 1958. Is that the picture as she sent it? Maybe because she knows y'all build dhs? The picture resized before I could read what was in the little box.

You're all mostly right, and yes it is a dollhouse. It's a painting done by Homer Hill, who was Jimmy's grandfather. It was painted in 1958 for the cover of Family Weekly magazine, which was a newspaper supplement back then. Jimmy's aunt thought that considering our hobby, we should have that picture from the magazine. She also sent the original painting (framed) to us, and it's beautiful!

Linda, that is so WONDERFUL!!!!

How cool it is that Jimmie's grandfather obviously loved dollhouses too (in his own way). :D

It's funny how we may all inherite different abilities and traits but they may come out in different ways. Linda, how big is the actual painting??

did he do more paintings?

It does look like a European Dollshouse.

:o

Linda, how big is the actual painting??

did he do more paintings?

It does look like a European Dollshouse.

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tracy, it's 18 x 16, not including the frame. Yes, he has done lots and lots of paintings (we've never seen all of them), and we have two of the paintings in our house--one's an old car and one's a watercolor of an old house or townhouse which says "Built in 1812 Occupied by John F. Kennedy". The rest are pictures from the magazines themselves, including a Readers Digest cover for November 1963 and a Christmas card with a lighthouse which hangs in our bathroom. I haven't had all of them framed yet. We also have some of the childrens books he illustrated.

His aunt had this one, and when we visited her in New Jersey in June and delivered her Newburg to her, and the Arthur to Jimmy's other aunt, she felt like Jimmy and I should have that painting and it arrived in the mail today.

How wonderful, Linda!  What a treat to be able to house some family history.  Jimmy's grandfather obviously was a very talented man!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Teresa! Jimmy and I were very touched by the gift of that particular painting.