Hobbyists should marry Hobbyists ;)

MicroJivvy

My husband is such a sweetheart.

Now keep in mind, we got married later than most (late thirties) and were/are both financially stable independent of each other... so unless something falls into our "really pricey" range, we don't generally discuss purchases.

We were chatting today and I mentioned my need to STOP BUYING HOUSES. lol... I was grousing about my guilt at having too many kits at one time (not the finances, just the obsessiveness of it all) and he just laughed.

See, his hobby is machine work. He pointed to the garage and said "I have 900 lbs [literally] of unfinished castings in there."

Machinists have a saying though, "All castings must spend several years under the work bench getting properly 'seasoned' before they can be worked."

Hubby suggested the same is obviously true of dollhouses. :)

Now that is a good husband!

Mine is quite tolerant of unfinished dollhouses because he probably has more unpainted wargaming figures than he could finish in this lifetime if he worked at it 40 hours a week... but something about 900 lbs is just so impressive!

My Dad is also a machinist and used to own his own shop. Boy, do I remember cleaning up those little curly cues after he'd finished working a piece. Ouch!!

My hubby just rolls his eyes, turns away and grumbles . . . what more can he do? It's not like I'm going to stop!! :) Unless of course the sky falls down and hell freezes over! :(

Unless of course the sky falls down and hell freezes over!

That's what the steel umbrella & ice skates are for :)

My DH got me started with the tools (he was thinking woodworking at the time, now it's a tossup between the mini garbage trucks & N-scale train gear)(Why garbage trucks? Because before retirement he was an environmental engineer with the state Dept of Environmental Protection, working with the "solid waste" division to get rid of surplus tire piles).

I think my hubby was overjoyed when I finally found a hobby last year. You see, for years he would spend his spare time in the garage and I couldn't understand this compulsion with radio controlled gliders. He has had this obsession for over thirty years (in between the vintage car years) and his garage is full of airplane wings, paint, servos, and radios. I was the one who couldn't understand his need for lots of different models, other than to replace the ones he crashed in flight. Boy, has that changed now.

He is more than happy to share his experience in the world of building models, use of power tools, lessons in soldering, and sharing his tools. It's great we have this one additional thing to talk about

My hubby just rolls his eyes, turns away and grumbles . . . what more can he do?

Hey, you could be out losing your shirt trying to rehab real houses.

The best thing about the dollhouse hobby is that it's really quite an inexpensive way to have six living rooms, all in different styles. Redoing a room for under $100 is realistic.

but something about 900 lbs is just so impressive!

Think of what 900 lbs of minis would look like! <swooning>

Bruce collects guns so when I feel guilty about spending money on minis, he points out that it takes a whole lot of minis to equal the cost of one gun and suggests I order more. I *like* his logic.

Deb

Melanie, after the vows, it's a done deal. He has to agree to whatever you say!! :) (I didn't say he had to like it, only that he has to agree with it!!) :D

I like his logic too, Deb!

900 lbs of minis . . . oh the joy, the bliss, the ecstasy!!!!! That could include houses too, right?!! :(

Bruce collects guns so when I feel guilty about spending money on minis, he points out that it takes a whole lot of minis to equal the cost of one gun and suggests I order more.  I *like* his logic.

Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey! This sounds like one great guy!

I am very lucky in that Jimmy shares this with me. That has been the best part of it for me!

900 lbs of minis . . . oh the joy, the bliss, the ecstasy!!!!!  That could include houses too, right?!!  :)

Of course it would! If we're going to dream, let's dream big! I'm pretty sure we could fit in a Queen Anne II in that cargo weight. And a Harborside. And a Foxhall Manor. <drooling>

Deb

Hey! This sounds like one great guy!

I am very lucky in that Jimmy shares this with me. That has been the best part of it for me!

He really is a great guy. We were in a dress shop awhile back and I couldn't decide between two dresses. He said, "Get them both". One other husband close by got a hissing, "why can't you be like that!" from his wife and the saleslady asked me if she could take Bruce in back to get a skin sample for cloning. :)

It's really great that you and Jimmy share the hobby. Minis would make a wonderful couple thing to do. Which one of you got started on minis first? Or did you start the hobby together?

Deb

Which one of you got started on minis first?  Or did you start the hobby together?

Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We started together, when he bought me the Victorian Townhouse as a Christmas gift.

I am really lucky in having a husband like Chris who wants to share the hobby with me too. When we were redoing my old dollhouse for Amanda--she was about ready to turn 7 at the time, he saw the boxes of minis I had made when I was a teenager, and a young girl, and said, why don't you still do this? Which he really started something then.... :)

Now, he builds his own models and designs his own roomboxes, and all of my displays. He was a big model nut as a kid, and also is a big ham radio nut too, he used to build his own radios and stuff....now that is expensive! But the one thing I can't get by him is how much the 'stuff' costs.... :D he already knows since he has seriously got into the train hobby! :(

I have to say that my even with how much I complain my husband is really a "get them both" kind of guy. He even said I could order a bunch of minis for my christmas present. ( I think he is secretly afraid I am going to try to make him live in one of my mini houses! :) )