Marquam Hill Mansion roofing question

madsenmel

Hi! I've been lurking for a few weeks since planning to buy the Marquam Hill Mansion, and it's the first dollhouse I've put together (past the foundation). The walls are up, and I've only made one major mistake that I had to fix, and I'm just about ready to glue on the main roof assembly. I can't tell this from the instructions or any pictures I've seen of the completed dollhouse, so I thought I'd ask nutti or heidiiiii or anyone else who's built the MHM:

Is the main roof piece (the one that's all in one piece, that goes over the front door) supposed to be flush against the front of the wall, with an overhang at the back of the wall? Or flush to the back of the wall? Mine sits flush to the front of the wall when I dry-fit it, but that's assuming that all of my other pieces are plumb and squared and all that :clap: Because then there is this weird little space where the routered-out wall and the routered-out roof overlap, and I feel like I should fill it in with putty or something...

Thanks for any help! You guys have already given me so many great tips and I love watching your progress...

Melissa

Im not sure what roof peice you mean...any way you can post a photo of the question?

its been awhile since I did my roof. but if I could see what you are asking maybe I can help.

you picked a really nice house for the first project!

nutti :)

I am thinking you are talking about the balcony that overhangs on the porch, right? If you can, post a pic about what you are talking about. I THINK I know what you are talking about but I want to make sure (and Nutti would too) before we give you any advice that might become a bone-headed decision..

Glad you have a MHM! It is a great house, isnt it? I love mine. I will never ever give this house away. Ever..Never.

Edit: Duh! Okay, are you talking about how the floor to the second floor room with the patio doors is connected to the floor of the balcony?

Because I have a gap in mine. It is a small gap. That gap will actually end up inside that room because of the bowed french door piece that you will have to put in.

I personally am not worried about the gap because I am covering it with wood flooring and I cant see it in the ceiling above.

In this pic, Is it that wooden space above the door?

Post a pic anyway just in case I am wrong.

Thanks for all of your help! Sorry my question wasn't clearer...that's what you get for posting in the middle of the night :)

I'm actually talking about the corner of the room that most people seem to be turning into a bathroom; where the tower, roof and side wall all meet. I'm pretty sure that the roof should be flush with the front of the side wall, and have an overhang on the back of the house, but it looks weird since the roof has that groove in it that doesn't fit into anything on the wall...

Melissa

post-2446-1193529917_thumb.jpg

Nutti may be able to answer better because i never built that part (it was already together) but I went and felt the area you are talking about. That groove is inside the house. So you are right. It looks weird but that is just the way it is. I went and felt the inside of the bathroom and that groove is there, with nothing in it. So you are on the right track!

Im glad you and Heidi have figured you out

our MHM is hidden behind boxes of Halloween and I am knee deep in cobwebs and costumes.

I seem to have lost all of our weapons....along with mask the master likes the kewl weapons of doom! but my duffel bag that I keep them in is not where it should be....but he lost our heads.

so we are even!

hmmmmm I hope you know Im very busy in turning my backyard into a haunted maze of scare!

otherwise this was a tad weird!

nutti B)

Thanks, everyone! It worked out great and everything is looking pretty good right now (so far)...The other side of the house (opposite of the tower, with all of the funky gables) has some not-so-square angles, but I guess they will be covered up with shingles, right :thumb:

Melissa

• 11 months later...

Melissa,

I just purchased a MHM from Craig's List - no instructions - any chance of getting a copy of your instruction set?

Let me know coy cost and mailing expense - Thanks for the reply,

Anxious to get started,

Ken (buzz805)