Beacon Hill Staircase mods

unicorn_emporium

Has anyone ever modified their Beacon Hill staircase? I'm guessing probably yes... I'm thinking of tracing the parts with the cut out design onto some basswood and using my scroll saw to cut out a different pattern. I've been working on something in Inkscape, but I'm concerned it might be too ambitious and I don't know how steady my hand would be on all those little cut outs.

This is my preliminary idea:

post-63346-0-04947600-1416347011_thumb.j

Ooo, pretty! I wonder how difficult/ more tedious it would be to stack your basswood strips and cut the balusters with the profile shown and glue them into place. Make friends with somone like Mike, who has that computer-guided router!

You may be onto something, Holly! That might actually work better than what I was thinking. I'll have to experiment and see what I can do. I need to bring my scroll saw in from the garage and put it down cellar, since it's getting to cold now to work in the garage.

A computer-guided router would be great! So many tools, so little time, LOL!

• 1 month later...

Nice!! Did you also add the router/cut out work on the side panels or does that come on the BH?

It's hard to tell in the picture, but does the railing have a carved design in it or is it a staining design?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...