I've got to vent

Peggi

Ok, this may not be the place to do this, but I'm so frustrated. I swear I will never do another house with a mansard roof, that is done like this Lily. Just getting the roof to fit in the first place(with lots of putty)caused a new level of cussing and then looking at the room in the picture of the bathroom seeing how so terribly bad I measured for those blankity blankity roof supports. I decided I would rip the wallpaper off and redo. Well, after trying so unsuccessfully yesterday to get a good template of the corner (the one stuck behind these same Blank roof supports, I decided to just paint the room.

So, I've spent some of yesterday afternoon and most of the morning getting the wallpaper off (without also tearing the electrical tape) which entailed removing the carpet, and the stair railings (which was also delicate to keep from breaking them) I have primed the walls, but I'm a terrible painter too. So if I make it thru the day without throwing this house in the trash, it will be a miracle. And if I don't throw it out, I've still got to decide how around those bay windows to look right, cause the edges look mighty rough to me.

Ready to BLOW

Peggi

Peggi, Here is a BIG HUG from me. Now turn off the light, quietly tiptoe out of the room and turn off the light and close the door and go make yourself a nice cup of hot chocolate & sit down with a trashy novel for a few chapters. When you feel a bit better, go back and start with the least bad thing. Maybe mask around your windows and use a wee bit of spackle on your finger to smooth those rough-looking parts, maybe measure for window treatments. When the windows are done to your liking & all dry, mask them & work on the walls. Just do little bits and sooner or later it should all come together.

Give yourself another big hug from me :blink:

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP cleansing breath!

Havanaholly is entirely right about the restorative effects of hot drinks and trashy novels.

The reason that real-life old houses had so much trim is that no one has ever gotten these sorts of things to fit perfectly. Trim covers a multitude of glitches. Elaborate ribbon and braid trims have the advantage that you can take them around odd corners without having to cut the angles... and they're period-perfect.

(I just about split a gut laughing when I found a decorating magazine telling people to use heavy braid as cornice molding in their real-life houses. I thought that was purely a dollhouse trick.)

Thanks Holly, I needed that hug, and I have taken a deep breath and gotten away for a minute by playing on the computer and catching up with the thread here. Cal, your idea sounds great and I must check but I think I may have some lace that will match the paint I plan on using. So right now, I'll look for the lace, then set it aside for when I feel like tackling the paint job.

Here's a BIG HUG BACK TO BOTH OF YOU

Peggi

Peggi, Your house looks great. I have been useing your pictures as a diagram for my house SOOOOO PLEASE dont give up!! Just walk away and count to 10 and take deep breaths Iam sure it will look wonderful once your all done.

Hugs,

Lyn :blink: