RGT 1/2 scale farmhouse

I have been looking around to see if anyone has done this house. It looked easier than other 1/2 scale houses I have seen. However, I haven't found anyone that seems to have done it.

I think it is MDF... and that's bad, correct? I got that from reading the forums here.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.themagicaldollhouse.com/store/files/images/small/t_121.jpg[/img

Here is a picture. I did not get the "finished" version whatever that means. The one I purchased was on sale for 55 dollars.

Hello and Welcome Marva! I'm currently making the Pierce but I'll be working on the 1/2" scale Fairfield soon.

there are lots of people who have done 1/2" houses here, and you'll probably get lots of help in that area. Also check out the gallery, there are some lovely 1/2" houses there.

Wolfie

First of all, welcome Marva, I hope you'll introduce yourself in the newcomer's subforum.

I have been looking around to see if anyone has done this house. It looked easier than other 1/2 scale houses I have seen. However, I haven't found anyone that seems to have done it.

I think it is MDF... and that's bad, correct? I got that from reading the forums here.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.themagicaldollhouse.com/store/files/images/small/t_121.jpg[/img

Here is a picture. I did not get the "finished" version whatever that means. The one I purchased was on sale for 55 dollars.

MDF is NOT "bad", just quite different. It has its advantages, as those who prefer it are very quick to point out. Most of us just prefer the versatility of working with wood.

I think "finished" means that the kit has already been built & decorated. leaving the buyer with nothing to do but put things in it. If you're a collector, this is what you would want.

BTW, US$55 for a RGT kit, even 1:24, is a reasonable price, considering what the 1:24 Thornhill & Foshall go for!

• 4 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to purchase a finished 1/2 scale farmhouse for $40.00. It sure is beautiful. The reason the lady sold it so cheap, was it had a broken piece of top trim, which I pulled off, filled the crack with gap filler, and painted the seam black. It is totally finished inside and out, and I don't see me putting wallpaper in there, as it already has baseboards and quarter round inside. I'm thinking that might make it difficult to get an acurate fit. I will post pics as soon as I recharge the camera batteries. I had a play from the top 1/2 inch before, and it wasn't that much more difficult to work with than my 1:12 houses. Good luck with yours.

I chickened out on houses for now. Ia don't have the patience or space to work for weeks on a house. I "kit bashed" the little 1/2 shadow box that's available and am making due with that for now.

Here are some pictures of what I made. It looks a little better in real life than in the pictures. http://marva.edublogs.org/

Eventually I'll do a house.

Sorry to hear that. Your room box looks awesome! Have you thought of maybe adding a hinged door, and doing up the outside to look like a house? That could be a cool next project.

Here is a pic of my new "Baby". You'll like this house. It's adorable.

Sorry to hear that. Your room box looks awesome! Have you thought of maybe adding a hinged door, and doing up the outside to look like a house? That could be a cool next project.

Here is a pic of my new "Baby". You'll like this house. It's adorable.

moan... it sure is cute. I know the siding is scored in. Did it come with the shingles? Is it fairly simple to make? Do you have pictures of the inside?

I thought about making a front for the shadow box. We'll see. I sure do like that it fits simply on a shelf or table.

The halfscale yahoo group is making a 4 room thingy (not a house) and so I'm going to do that next. Eventually I will get back to houses, but unless it's the McKinley, I just don't know where I'd put even a half scale house in my little bitty home.

As far as I can read from the websight, www.realgoodtoys.com this kit comes with shingles, shingle dye, porch and hard wood floors. I didn't build this one. Here's a pic of the inside. Please forgive some of the ratty, plastic furniture I stuck in there. I needed to play, so used what I had till I can replace it.

You were worried about the ease of construction. In the unfinished kit, this little house has the sidding built-in, and the floors, are already scored, ready to stain. The stairs and doors, windows are pre-assembled as well.

You need a small hammer, and 3/4" shiny finishing nails. It's not very hard to assemble. I have built the larger Cranberry Cove with 2 additions , that is 4 feet wide and 3 feet high. I've also put additions on my Lemon Twist. It was a little difficult to get the nails in the MDF,but if you make little pilot holes with an awl to get the nails started, it goes O.K

The finished 1/2 inch Farmhouse measures 14 3/4" wide x 17"high x 10 1/8" deep. It's little, so fits easily on an end table, or microwave top. When you get around to building it, you'll truly like the overall results.

• 2 months later...

I love the way your farmhouse looks! I have the Colonial - it is a very nice kit to put together, I was really impressed with the windows that came with this kit. They are very detailed and go together easily.

That is a very pretty bathroom set. I have never seen that one. :)