Dollhouse Glue Question

MistyStarz

Hi, I have just recently started getting addicted to dollhouses. My first cabin was a finished shell and I have been building a custom porch... With that I have been Elmers wood glue. Now that I am reaching some frustrating parts with designing this porch. I have decided to take a mental break and also work on a pre cut pattern dollhouse. The Dura craft Lafayette. My question is... when erecting the walls and getting them set into place. What type of glue should I use? Should I continue to use the wood glue (which is brown) or should I use another type of glue? With this house I will be painting and not staining.

Thanks!

Robin

Robin as you look thru this forum you will see that everyone has a personal favorite, I use Aileens tacky glue as do some others, about the only thing concerning glue that most agree on for the shell is do not use a glue gun if your house will reside in a humid place. :D

I basicallly followed an outline given by someone at the Earth and Tree sight for using glue for the different sections (wallpaper, frame, shingles) and so far everything has held together well.

Peggi

Robin as you look thru this forum you will see that everyone has a personal favorite, I use Aileens tacky glue as do some others, about the only thing concerning glue that most agree on for the shell is do not use a glue gun if your house will reside in a humid place.  :lol:

I basicallly followed an outline given by someone at the Earth and Tree sight for using glue for the different sections (wallpaper, frame, shingles) and so far everything has held together well.

Peggi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peggi, Do you think I could see that outline??

Lyn

I have always used Quick Grip glue, which is an acetone type of glue, but remains slightly flexible, bonds extremely well. Flexible is a good thing, as wood, even painted, always expands and contracts slightly. My almost 20 year old Hofco is still completely together. When I had to remove some trim in it to repaper a few walls, I had no problems and the wood didn't split. I've found the Quick Grip in the craft section at Walmart.

Peggy, where is the Earth and Tree sight. I would love to be able to see what they suggest for things. After all, its my first time and the more advice I get, the more I can decide what will work best for me.

Thanks,

Robin

Thanks Marie for posting the site, just look under Tom's Tips. He has several good tips, this was probably the first site I visited before embarking on redoing the lighting system in the Cambridge I received and found the site to be very useful. They also have some neat products and I have found them to be very responsive when I've ordered from them.

Peggi

Thanks everyone for all the glue advice. I also visited the Earth & Tree webiste for tips on glue too. I've spent all weekend looking at the different glues. Now I will just experiment around with everyones advice and see what ends up working best for me. Thanks everyone!!!

Robin