Flooring questions for the Pierce

LynnieEP

I've got a few hardwood flooring questions for the group:

1. My girlfriend has decided that she wants hardwood flooring in the living and dining area. I did a little research and I see that the sheets come in 1/4" or 3/8" widths. Which is better or is it just a matter of preference?

2. Do I need to prime the floors after wiring and before putting the floor down?

3. The stairs will be inserted into floor slots. Am I going to have to cut the flooring to fit around the steps? If so, what should I cut it with?

Thanks heaps!

Lynne :D

These sheets you talk about...I'm not sure if they are like the one I used or not. From experience, I would finish ANYTHING before using it inside the dollhouse where the tapewire is concerned! If you try and do anything with even something that resemble liquid. you could possibly ruin your tape runs! As far as the stairs are concerned, I cut my flooring around them. It made them sit into the base of the house and looked more flush. I would think the width of the sheets would be a matter of preference...can't wait to see! Any new bladed razor knife should do nicely...I fit my flooring first, put it in the house, but not glued yet, placed the stairs back in (even though they won't be IN the slots yet) and traced lightly around them, pulled the stairs and flooring back out and then cut the stairs pattern out. Hope this helps...

What some people do that might work is to make a card template of your floor with the stairs & tabs cut out and you can use it as a pattern for the sheet flooring, or you can use the wooden coffee stirrers, craft sticks, or whatever else appeals to your sense of creativity for flooring.

Hi Lynne,

I know I'm kinda late with this reply, but I definitely would prime before putting in the tape wire or flooring. I'm also a big advocate on templates! :blink: I use sheets of paper which I cut up to go around things like stairs or windows and then tape it all together before I pull it out to cut my flooring or wallpaper. This method hasn't failed me yet!

Definitely put in the stairs and then make your template and cut your flooring with an exacto knife (be sure it's sharp!). As far as widths, I think it's personal preference. I kinda go by the house . . . wider for country type decorating or narrower for sophisticated type decorating. I'm a stickler for details!

Good Luck!