Using Dremel on MDF

mygrommi

Is it possible to groove MDF with a Dremel tool like you can on plywood in order to use the round wire method of lighting my San Franciscan?

I'm very familiar with the round wire method and have never used the tape method. I also have lots of the round wire materials.

Thanks.

Renea

mygrommi

Thanks, Nutti, I don't know where my brain goes dancing off to, some days!

Renea, go to one of Minis on the Edge's posts and click on the bar on the left with her user name and you'll get a dropdown menu with an option for sending her a message, and you can PM her from there.

You definitely could groove MDF with a Dremel, You'd just need a groove cutter (1 of their router bits) and the plunge router attachment. I think the hard part would be laying it all out before assembly, because it would be a pig after. And you should wear a dust mask, like I didn't when I cut the new staircase opening in Marg's MDF DuraCraft. :)

Why the router attachment? Believe me doing it freehand? How many parameter's do you enjoy controlling all at once? No left to right guide, nothing to control depth of cut. With the router attachment and a well layed out plan, It'd fly.

Doogster, my house is already assembled - I bought a store model, so using the router attachment won't work since I won't be routing flat boards. It will all be done inside the house.

Thanks

Renea

mygrommi

Renea, a very sharp set of chisels/gouges and start with a straight edge and a very sharp knife and a small hammer, and practice on any scraps of MDF you might get a hardware store's lumber manager to part with.

• 2 months later...

I did it on mine Renea, I used a a small needle file and a hammer to chisel a trench in each floor for the light fitting below and I used my dremel to bore the hole for wire to the light fitting.

Yvonne