Need Painting Tips Please

evervescent

I'm working on a Victorian Painted Lady and I'm having some difficulties painting the trim and gingerbread on the outside. It's already put together or I would have loved painting all of the pieces first. As it is, I just can't seem to paint a straight line.

I notice that there are a lot of San Francisco Victorians out in the galleries with lovely paint jobs. Any tips regarding painting? Brush sizes and types; paint consistency; taping, etc?

Painting gingerbread after assembly? Eww. Blue painter's tape is your friend. So is a small, flat bristle (sable or other soft natural) brush. Several thin coats over a good primer, rather than trying for one-coat-does all. If you start with your lightest color and work from the edge of the house outward, masking off the finished parts after they're dry, you can go back with a tiny "spotter" brush to clean up fiddly bits. I do NOT envy you. I do wish you all sorts of good luck.

I repainted my Marquam Hill Mansion after it was already put together and painted previously. Holly is telling you right!

Also take your time. Dont paint if you are tired cause you will mess up, keep a damp rag handy to wipe up mistakes.

Good Luck! I dont envy you either. I still have nightmares about that paint job.

I bought my Apple Blossom already put together and it was this awful shade of Pepto pink. The pink had to go!

I had never painted before so I didnt think it was a big deal. Boy was I wrong! I never imagined painting could be such a pain and cause me to say bad words. :pepper: I didnt tape beforehand, painted the wrong things, and did an all around horrible job. It was so bad that I have left it that way and do not want to go back to fix it.

Sorry.. I realize that doesnt help you at all. :thumb:

My advice - tape it, paint when you are happy, and buy good brushes.

Edited by Corey

Green painter's tape gives less leakage than blue painter's tape. Just don't ever let it touch wallpaper you want to keep. (Gee, how do I know that?) Sometimes, it works just as well to hold a piece of cardboard blocking the not-to-paint area. Both of those come from Debbie Travis' paint-your-real-house TV show.

Turn and prop the house so you can balance your elbow or wrist against a surface as you paint, so your hand shakes less. That's a Jocasta Innes trick for painting a straight line.

I'm totally awful at painting but I watch a lot of HGTV.

Green painter's tape gives less leakage than blue painter's tape. Just don't ever let it touch wallpaper you want to keep. (Gee, how do I know that?) Sometimes, it works just as well to hold a piece of cardboard blocking the not-to-paint area. Both of those come from Debbie Travis' paint-your-real-house TV show.

Turn and prop the house so you can balance your elbow or wrist against a surface as you paint, so your hand shakes less. That's a Jocasta Innes trick for painting a straight line.

Great tips to share, Wende; wish they worked for me...