It worked!

Deb

The topic has come up a couple of times about alternatives to expensive asphalt shingles so I made a mental note to myself to figure it out. (I love a good creative challenge) I used square butt birch shingles, glued them onto the roof and then gave the whole thing a light spraying of Fleckstone paint in a greenish grey. It has a little white and black flecking thru it so it really did look perfect. Even with a light spray, the paint does tend to disguise the lines between the individual shingles, but a teeny brush and some black paint around the edges and sides of the shingles to put some shadowing in fixed that right up. I'm all happy with the way it's coming out so I had to share the news.

Deb

Sounds cool, I wanted to try Fleckstone over the cheap paper shingles that came with a kit, but I think they got thrown out. I'm wondering how well Fleckstone would dress up the styrene asphalt shingles that are available.

Even with a light spray, the paint does tend to disguise the lines between the individual shingles, but a teeny brush and some black paint around the edges and sides of the shingles to put some shadowing in fixed that right up.

Doesn't it look good! That's how I did mine. A tip for the paint covering the lines. If you space the shingles a little further apart than you normally would then when you spray it the lines are perfect. It looks like too wide of a space before the fleck paint goes on, but afterwards it's fine.

I'm wondering how well Fleckstone would dress up the styrene asphalt shingles that are available.

If the styrene shingles have a bit of a tooth to the finish so the paint won't slide, the Fleckstone would probably work really well for giving them a little more realism. I've been wanting to try the Fleckstone after seeing how Peggi did her Lily roof and this was a great opportunity. I'm sold on the stuff now.

If you space the shingles a little further apart than you normally would then when you spray it the lines are perfect.

<grinning> Great minds think alike! :) I gave a little distance between the shingles and left the edges just a little rough for a bit more texture and lift. I think the hardest part was wrapping the house in plastic before I sprayed the roof. Poor thing looked like it had been tented for fumigation by exterminators!

Deb