Anyone built the Pioneer?

New Day

I'm so excited, I just picked up a Dura-Craft Pioneer log cabin kit. Has anyone here built one? Or have one? I looked in the gallery, but didn't see any. I think I'll be reading the directions for a little while first, it looks different from other kits I've done. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Traci

I've built it twice. We got it about 7 years ago and glued it all together but when we stained it the glue melted. Just putting it back together in the last few days since my mom is in the hospital and I thought it would be a nice surprise. It's a little hard with no pics or that video :thumb: Hah. But I remember how it goes and all the pieces are matching up. I will try and post some pics when I finish tomorrow before the Oscars!

Kat

Thanks Kat,

Mine didn't come with a video, must be a later kit because the video was blacked out of the list of included parts. I do have the instructions if you need me to scan anything for you. Sorry that yours came apart - BUMMER!

I am currently much less excited than I was when I picked the kit up. Many of the logs are warped (not the sellers fault, they didn't know). I have dampened and tried to straighten what I could, but finally had to go buy more pieces at Home Depot today. They have the right size in the trim dept., but there goes my "bargain"! Anyway, I am muddling through, though it's not what I expected. I think I much prefer the die cut kits, where you don't have to build the walls first, but I'm sure I'll like this when I'm done. I'd love to see pics of yours. I'll try to get some posted of mine, as well. Thanks for responding and welcome to the forum!

Traci

Edited by New Day

I've not built the Pioneer, but I built the Shenandoah, which sounds like similar construction. I, too, had warped wood, but I built it before Dura-craft went out of business and got a bunch of replacement pieces for free. I do miss that company. They're replacement policy was fantastic. I never had a problem with them.

I didn't stain before building and now regret it. I'd stain each individual log before building. I think I'm going to end up getting a dark green stain for the roof and porch roof and then just seal the rest of the cabin in the natural pine.

Thanks for the advice Jokelly.

I think the Shennandoah is similar in construction. Unfortunately, I have already assembled and glued the walls and floors. The thought of staining each log when i opened the box was more than I could deal with. I'm now thinking of using "bug juice" or a paint wash instead of stain. Especially if there is a chance that the stain will disolve the glue. This is for a Pioneer Fair our history group may be doing in a few months, so it should look old/primitive.

I love your idea of the green roof and natural walls!

Did either of you do "chinking" between your logs? I have lots of spackle, and was thinking of using that. Oh, I also skipped the dormers/windows on top, as I am terrible with sawing angles (although I did get the walls angled well for the roof!) And, again, it's supposed to be a more rustic example for our fair. So, the original pioneers may have skipped extra windows/dormers as well!

Thanks again,

Traci

If you thin your spackling compound you can pipe it through an old pastrybag to chink your logs. I would recommend "bug juicing" the logs for an authentic patina. It you go with the alcohol & India ink recipe you can also darken the dried spackle, and then go back with dark green & black chalk pastel and grate a little onto pieces of waxed paper & touch it lightly to the damp spackle with a Qtip for the moss that grows on old chinking compound. We have a Junior Museum in Tallahassee with some of the old buildings from the early settlements in the Big Bend area.

• 2 months later...

I bought the log cabin some time ago from a flea market. The wood is in great condition but the instructions were not included. I was wondering if you could send me a copy of the instructions for the pioneer dollhouse. This will be my first attempt to build a wooden house. :wave:

Thanks Sabrina

Hi Sabrina,

If you PM me your email address, I will scan the directions and send them to you. It may take me a little while, there are lots of pages. I will try to get some pictures up, too. I still haven't done the chimney, fireplace, door, or trim. It may not be done in time - the fair is in 2 weeks and I have a lot of other things to do for it. Plus, I'm not sure how "authentic" it is. I may take it with me tomorrow and get the other moms' opinions before I try to rush to get it done in time.

Traci

Hi again,

Just realized that this is your first post - WELCOME! Everyone here is so nice, I'm sure you'll love it! I have scanned the directions (I also sent you a PM) I couldn't see how to attach the file in the PM, so it's ready to go once I get an email addy tos send it to you. I'm also going to post on another thread to find out if there is a way to download the directions to the site, so it will be here if anyone else needs it.

Traci