Buying my electrical kit

caitejay

Now that I've got some good coupon codes, I'm going to buy my electrical kit for my Beacon Hill. I figure if I'm able to successfully electrify everything in my plans, I'll use 38 bulbs. But I'm looking at buying the Cir Kit 100 Deluxe Lighting kit, since it comes with so much stuff, and I'm not entirely sure what I need. Will I run into problems if I buy a too-big transformer & electrical kit, or should I try to buy one that is more in line with the number of bulbs I'll be using - I was also looking at the Cir Kit 103 which is a lot cheaper - but I worry that I'll have to order more stuff if the kit doesn't have everything I need.

Oh, you brave girl! Electrifying a house is so cool. I'm going to give it a try on my little Arrow house I'm redoing. I'm going to go with the small kit without the transformer just to get the wiring run. My house is only 4 rooms and an attic. I'll get the transformer later as I start to do the interior, which seems like it will be years from now! :o

Please let us know how it goes- I can't wait to see what it looks like all lit up.

-Tiffany

Hi,

I just bought a larger transformer for my Beacon last night. I started out small because Iwanted the lights I did have to work. I didn't want to wait until I bought all of the lights. Now I have too many lights. If you have too large of a transformer it will burn your bulbs out faster, if it's too small they will be dim. I can always use the smaller transformer for another house. If you don't plan to add more lights I'd go with the smaller of the two, just because I wouldn't want to replace those little bulbs. I can't wait to see your house!

Sarah

You can never have too much transformer is what I always say!

And you can add more lights later on, or you can unplug that transformer and use it on a bigger house some day..I know the Garf is big but they do come bigger.. :o

Think about it.. If your chandelier has three bulbs. that counts as three lights. Then you get lights for every room, maybe a porch light, and fireplace bulb, christmas lights...it can go on and on.

Dont be afraid of electrifying. Just do alot of research before hand. Check Check and double check before you proceed at each step. And dont forget to turn off the power when you are working!

Once you go electrified you never go back!

I've always wanted an electric dollhouse, ever since seeing those ads in the 70's and 80's where the house's lights came on and the doorbell rang. I think I"m going with the smaller kit - I'm only using 2 or 3 chandeliers, everything else will be scones. And I figure I can always buy a bigger transformer if needed. Plus I like the price of the smaller kit better!

I can't wait to start electrifying, I've already mapped out where I want everything. I'm going to solder my joints, I've read that soldered joints tend to be more reliable than those brad things.