Laser cut wood or plastic

Starfire

Does anyone know if anyone (or a source) that will provide cutting to your design (pattern) a limited number of pieces in either wood or plastic? I think I would prefer the plastic if at all possible. I know next to nothing about the process involved and cannot even estimate what setting up to do a piece involves nor begin to estimate a cost. If such a source exist there must be some kind of a limit to how few they would be willing to do. The few numbers I need may be a problem. :please:

Some of you may remember me telling about my current long range project a 1:24 size recreation of Elrond's Library from the P Jackson movie FOTR, LOTR. My original intention was to cast some pieces of tracery for screens and balustrades and railings(Not as complicated as the New Orleans french quarter wrought iron) in resin, however the results at this size have been very unsatisfactory. The designs have turned out to be too delicate to cast sucessfully. I have tried using wire to form the screen traceries, but the arthritis in my hands has made that no starter. One other possibility I have considered is using clear sheet acetate and cut out the designs as a base, then using the liquid leading to cover it. The cutting of that too will be a problem :cry: .

Any ideas, suggestions or sources would be greatly appreciated!!!! :worthy:

Beverly

Off the top of my head ...

Maybe print the tracery on clear acetate and then cut just the outer edges? I'm not sure how obvious the inner segments of clear acetate would be, but in an obscure place it might "disappear".

Off the side of my head ... maybe use the fake stained glass "leading" to build up the printed tracery to give it some depth?

Good luck with your project! :giggle:

A wire-bending jig & pliers would overcome some of the arthritis problem. Check the archives at www.smallstuff-digest.com , I want to say I vaguely recall a posting about getting lasercuttings done.

If you were to draw off the traceries you have in mind and then lay them over a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil over a mousepad and trace the designs and then roll polyclay very thin and lay it along the foil lines and bake it, how that would work...