Hinge hints anyone? I would like some windows to function...

Elsbeth

I have a few windows that I'd like to be able to open and close (you know, with the changing seasons) - and here is the thing:

I already stained and glued my windows and doors together.

I did all that work thinking I'd probably glue them in place.

Well, now I want a few of them to function.

Any suggestions?

Can I still chamois-hinge, or is it too late since I glued all the frames/plastic together?

Chamois hinging sounded easier than the other methods, but what do I know?

Are mini-hinges worth the trouble?

IMHO, you would have to take the door apart for the chamois hinge to work, but I'm sure Holly can tell you more she done more of them than I have. The pin hinge method is really not hard, a little tedious to line up the holes with the pin, but that's the hardest part. Also the tiny metal hinges, which I used on my Lily, are very fragile, if you don't expect any kids to play with it, that would be ok, but they really don't withstand much handling without bending and they are hard to seat. I now use them just for looks.

The little brass hinges are totally useless except for looks, imho. if you can GENTLY wiggle the craft knifeblade between your door & frame halves to separate them you can use the chamois or twill tape method. Otherwise I'd go for broke and use Peggi's pin-hinge method (described in her Coventry Cottage blog).