Building a dollhouse while Pregnant

NBlaine

I m not a Dr and expect you to take this advice with the same weight any free advice on the internet is worth but I would avoid any of the harsher paints and glues. CA (super glues), epoxies, spray paints, etc. Anything with an odor that needs to be used in a ventilated area put back on the shelf

Some wood glues are labeled "approved for indirect food contact" (Titebond III is one) and although you wouldn't want to eat it or rub it into your skin it is probably ok for use.  If you can handle wearing them a pair of disposable gloves might be a safe bet. Also if you are going to be sanding wear a mask at a minimum. That wood dust or the glue used to make the plywood might be toxic even if the wood glue isn't. I doubt handling it is an issue but you dont want to breathe it in. Many people are prone to an allergic reaction to walnut dust

• Like 1

I've never been pregnant, but it would never occur to me that building a dollhouse while pregnant would be a problem. Honestly I would just ask your doctor which glues / products need to be avoided, unless someone here can chime in with first-hand experience. If you're in the mood to build a dollhouse right now, waiting to do so seems extreme.

On 9/4/2024 at 3:34 AM, NBlaine said:

Have any of you built a dollhouse while pregnant? Was it safe and is there a glue that you felt was safe to use? Thank you! 

Welcome! I agree with the other posters in general; unless there's a specific warning of toxicity or ventilation attached to a product, you'll probably be fine. Plus, heaven knows that as the trimesters drag on, you'll want something to do to take your mind off it! I only have one daughter, but I taught English up until she was born, and being busy helped me bounce back and not get stuck in my own head before and after her birth. Just don't do anything crazy with sawing or knives, be careful what you lean against or on, and enjoy the project 🙂

I agree that so long as you're careful about ingredients in what you use, you ought to be OK; but it doesn't hurt to keep a box each of disposable masks and neoprene gloves and a pair of safety glasses if you're using power sanders or saws.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I agree that so long as you're careful about ingredients in what you use, you ought to be OK; but it doesn't hurt to keep a box each of disposable masks and neoprene gloves and a pair of safety glasses if you're using power sanders or saws.

I second that on masks and gloves. I use neither and probably should wear a mask when sanding but being pregnant it pays to err on the side of caution 

• 1 month later...