Type of Fabric for Wallpaper

Hello Everyone!

I found some fabric on Etsy that will be perfect for wallpaper for a project.  I have never used fabric for wallpaper.  The issue is they are several types of fabric listed to choose from for the print.  What is the best to use:  Petal Signature Cotton, Cotton Poplin, Cotton Silk, Essex Linen, Cotton Lawn, Cotton Knit, Belgian Linen, or Lightweight Cotton Twill?  I don't want a sheen to the fabric and I want it heavy enough to be able to work with it and not stretch too much.

So many choices!!

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Wow that is a lot of choices! My first thought is contact the seller and tell them what you were wanting it for and maybe they could provide some additional information. It's been a minute since I've sewn and worked with some of those fabrics but I would choose cotton over linen for its ability to absorb and hold color. I think the petal signature would probably be the best weight. Lawn and poplin are lighter and poplin can have a sheen. The knit choice sounds too stretchy unless you knew the percentage of the knit part. The silk and the Twill could possibly have a texture that might affect the print in the wallpaper. If you do end up getting one that's too thin or stretchy for your project you can put a fusible interfacing on the back that would stiffen it. Just my thoughts. I would really try to contact the seller. If not that you could try just looking in a local fabric shop at the different types of cloth to get some idea of what you might prefer. They usually have the different types labeled. I wish you luck!

Edited by FurMama
Afterthought

• 3 months later...

I think I remember Brooke Tucker used Fabric in some of her roomboxes.  I like silk, but I've never used silk or cotton on my walls.  If it works, it works.

You commented your options were:  >>>Petal Signature Cotton, Cotton Poplin, Cotton Silk, Essex Linen, Cotton Lawn, Cotton Knit, Belgian Linen, or Lightweight Cotton Twill?  

Poplin is likely to be sturdier weave. I have never sewn a pair of pants for a life size human, but that is likely the number one fabric I would look at for bottomweight clothing.

Lightweight Cotton Twill - Twill is a type of weave - this can be interesting for textured walls.

Cotton Knit will likely be stretchy - I wouldn't try to use for walls. 

Cotton Silk and Cotton Lawn is wonderful for draping on the bias.  It gets pretty technical, but the thinner fabric will drape better, but likely poor for flat wall.

Linens, are high maintenance but have a texture.  Assuming the walls are not going to be moving around, Linen could be another textured wall solution.

100% cotton, or 100% silk, or blend of cotton silks should dye - 

I have a fabric collection from Mood Fabric in NYC, Miami and likely somewhere in CA... I visited the Mood Store in NYC a couple of times when I went to the Guild Show when it was in Teaneck NJ in 2011, and 2012.  Mood will swatch fabric and mail it to you.  

Rennaissance Fabric in CA will swatch for free.

I think patterned cotton fabrics from quilt stores give you lots of options, but it is difficult to judge if something is IN SCALE online.  I have way too many pieces of fabric that are not in scale, so my recommendation is to shop in person, unless you have a fat wallet.

Good Luck!

Hi Matt...I wallpapered a room box with fabric. It was cotton. Check to see how shear it is.  You will need to paint the wall before applying so any flaws are hidden.. I used mod podge, and it was really easy.. It was  regular quilting cotton from JoAnn. Nothing fancy.

Cotton lawn is lightweight, and might be hard to apply. Light weight cotton twill should work.

Can you ask for swatches?

Edited by Mid-life madness